Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennishale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2001
Medford, Mass.
A Comp-USA salesman told me yesterday that Apple will begin shipping iBooks in October with a new "soft-touch" keyboard that gets around the problem of keys popping off. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

dennishale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2001
Medford, Mass.
iBook keypad

The CompUSA people don't know much about Macs, it is true, but this keypad problem is now infamous with the iBook. While I was trying out the keys, the delete key popped of. And I don't think these demo machines get much play at CompUSA, so it wasn't excessive wear and tear. That's why there is a rumor about improvements to the keypad.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
nah...

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
should people reconsider buying ibooks then?? like me??

I wouldn't reconsider. While it's several months old, it's still an excellent buy, and you won't see any sort of major revision to it any time soon. This is for two major reasons:
1) It's STILL selling just too well. Compared to laptops on the PC side, the iBook really competes.
2) What features would you add that WOULDN'T make it eat further into TiBook sales? Consider what a faster processor, larger screen, more memory or HD, etc. would do to sales of Apple's high-end (and thus high-margin) product. As it was, the iBook was a little too much bang for too little buck, and it cannibalized TiBook sales for a while.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
ok

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i don't think i understand number 2 of that last post

Number 2 is essentially the argument that the iBook is a little too good for its pricetag. At 1299 (or 1499, etc. for higher models), it competes very well with the TiBook, lacking only the larger screen and G4 processor. But, to Joe Blow consumer, the G4 may not matter, especially when he sees 500 Mhz on a $1299 computer and 400 Mhz on a $2199 computer...and if he's in a store, while the iBook screen will appear certainly small, it's also brighter and crisper.

The point is that Apple can't afford to upgrade the iBook just yet because to do so would take away even more sales from their high-margin and high-end product, the PowerBook G4.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Agreed

I have no problems with my iBook except for this damn squeeking when I open it. I use my G4's old Apple USB Keybord on it, just becuase the keys are deeper, I haven't had any keybord problems yet.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Tendancies?

Let's not start an argument here but what tendancies?
My iBook squeekes, I plan to call Apple Tech tomorrow.
My "old G4 keybord" is old because i boght a pro keybord for it
And as for the other thread I've already posted a reply.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
what the...

Mnkybusiness: WHY ARE YOU ANNOYED AT MasterX's tendencies? WHAT TENDENCies?? he just made a normal comment. I think we have a NEW bitch in flowering here. Just chill ok?

- Kela

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
The iBook is an excellent piece, first time Apple makes something that really works in an really afforable price. The Ti Book is too expensive I think, the LCD is excellent but that is it, too much money still.

In place of buying a iBook, I would look for a Powerbook Firewire 500 first. It is a bit faster, bigger screen, fully expandable and may be cheaper.

What I do not like of the iBook is the white plastic enclosure. It looks nice on TV but in person looks cheap. What I realized is that Apple turned aroud the Apple logo so it look strait when the book is open.

Still a very good piece of hardware, I woun't bother about the keys.

Jaze

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2001
iBook

I 'd like to see a revamped iBook in the Fall. I've been waiting to buy one until they work out the kinks, but it seems to have been fairly kink-free (popping keys notwithstanding). I'm leaving the country for a few months at the beginning of January, and really wanted to take one with me. I'm fine with my old Wall St. powerbook and my iMac for the time being, but I can't decide whether or not to jump now or take the plunge.

What do people here think: any chance that there'll be a revamped/retooled iBook which I could be clutching in my sweaty little paws before January 6th?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: iBook

Originally posted by Jaze
I 'd like to see a revamped iBook in the Fall. I've been waiting to buy one until they work out the kinks, but it seems to have been fairly kink-free (popping keys notwithstanding). I'm leaving the country for a few months at the beginning of January, and really wanted to take one with me. I'm fine with my old Wall St. powerbook and my iMac for the time being, but I can't decide whether or not to jump now or take the plunge.

What do people here think: any chance that there'll be a revamped/retooled iBook which I could be clutching in my sweaty little paws before January 6th?

Your odds are slim at best. The simple reason is that you'd have to see a major change to the PowerBook before you see much of a change to the iBook. Think about it -- the iBook already competes incredibly with the PowerBook -- same memory configuration, basic HD capacity, etc. You can even have a built-in burner on the iBook, putting it *ahead* of the PowerBook...not to mention that by pure Mhz ratings, the iBook is listed as a faster computer (and, at some tasks, is).

Given all of that, you won't see any key revisions to the iBook any time soon. While it may be "due" for one in its product cycle, its high-end, high-profit counterpart will limit any such revision.

Go buy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.