Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nappyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
i have a fantom 250g usb2.0 ext harddrive that contains my music library. it has worked fine on my ibook g4 for well over 6 months. now all of a sudden my mac no longer recognizes the drive. my mac's usb ports work fine, and the ext. drive works on my windows xp pc.the mac just no longer reads the FAT32 formatted drive. any advice?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
nappyjohnson said:
i have a fantom 250g usb2.0 ext harddrive that contains my music library. it has worked fine on my ibook g4 for well over 6 months. now all of a sudden my mac no longer recognizes the drive. my mac's usb ports work fine, and the ext. drive works on my windows xp pc.the mac just no longer reads the FAT32 formatted drive. any advice?

Hmmm.

You tried repairing your permissions?

Try a restart?

Relaunched Finder?

Rich.

nappyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
thanks for the reply, yes i have repaired permissions, restarted, logged out and back in, and i can't get my mac to recognize the harddrive.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Does it show up in System Profiler?
Does this USB HD have a power source, or is it supposed to be powered by the USBus?

nappyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
no, it doesn't show up in sys profiler. i can't find a trace of it on my computer.
the ext. drive does have an external power source.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
All I can suggest is that you 1) try a new USB cable, and 2) try it logged in as a different user.

Unfortunately, you've appeared to have ruled out the likely culprits in this case (the HD case may have failed, or the USB ports on your Mac are toast).

nappyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
thanks for your help, unfortunately i've tried a new usb cable, and logging in as a different user. my other pc has no problem reading the ext. drive. in the past i've been able to switch between my mac and my windows pc with no problem. is there maybe a driver that i need. it could've gotten erased or something...i'm not sure, running out of ideas...

zzap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
nappyjohnson said:
thanks for your help, unfortunately i've tried a new usb cable, and logging in as a different user. my other pc has no problem reading the ext. drive. in the past i've been able to switch between my mac and my windows pc with no problem. is there maybe a driver that i need. it could've gotten erased or something...i'm not sure, running out of ideas...

check console.log or system.log, maybe your hd is complaining there... it helped me once

did you try to plug something else in your usb port? hmm... you probably did this already...

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I have a USB2 ext. drive that works great using XP or linux but OSX on my iBook seldom seems to see it. I have the best luck after using fdisk (linux disk utility) on it. I purchased a 3.5" firewire case and a Seagate and haven't looked back.

nappyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
thanks, it's really wierd. my digital camera shows up in system profiler in the usb section, but still no sign of the ext drive when i connect it and turn the power on. i just can't figure out what has changed on my mac osx to make it stop reading the drive.

nappyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
i've found this message in system log:

Jun 6 00:07:38 Macintosh kernel[0]: USBF: 406.686 AppleUSBEHCI[0x15e4800]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 91, timing out!

i think that this is my computer failing to read the usb port with the ext drive.

zzap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
nappyjohnson said:
i've found this message in system log:

Jun 6 00:07:38 Macintosh kernel[0]: USBF: 406.686 AppleUSBEHCI[0x15e4800]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 91, timing out!

i think that this is my computer failing to read the usb port with the ext drive.

yes, this is most probably the reason... now, I googled your error message and didn't find anything useful, just couple of more guys with the same problem. You should probably ask apple support, they should know what this means.

I had a lot of problems with my ext hd also, but I always thought it's because of my iBook's crappy fw... My first big disappointment with apple hardware, hopefully the last.

nappyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
yaay!! problem fixed

i bought a powered usb 2.0 4-port hub and ran my ext drive through it to my mac. everything is working now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.