Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2004
hey all.

im having a problem booting my ibook G4.
on boot, it chimes, and then just sticks on the grey screen.
I am able to zap the PRAM, ive done that a few times, and also reset the PMU
(on doing so a get a long bleep then the sleep light flashed a few times). however, none of the other keyboard shortcuts work. (ie single user, Open firmware, safe mode etc etc) on inserting a cd (eg test disk or install disk), it reads the cd for a bit, but still doesnt budge from the grey scren.

there is no ticker just a blank grey screen.

i have removed the aiport and additional ram aswell.

also, wen i close the lid, it goes into sleep mode and the sleep light pulses.

any ideas?

ta dave

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Target Disk Mode?

Try booting into Target Disk Mode and accessing your computer from another Mac via FireWire. For more information, see here.

Once in Target Disk Mode, get something like Techtool (?) to have a look at your busted iBook. That is, presuming you can get that far...

Good luck!

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2004
mad jew said:
I don't think you've got much choice other than taking it in to get repaired. :(

how much u reckon that would cost (UK money)?

i think it might be the hard drive, but im not 100% sure

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
Carlson-online said:
how much u reckon that would cost (UK money)?

i think it might be the hard drive, but im not 100% sure
this happened to me a while ago and i called apple technical support and they couldnt give me any help so i went to an apple store asked them and all they said to do was boot from a disk (eg tiger) and do an archive and install i followed these instructions and now everthing works great

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2004
elisha cuthbert said:
this happened to me a while ago and i called apple technical support and they couldnt give me any help so i went to an apple store asked them and all they said to do was boot from a disk (eg tiger) and do an archive and install i followed these instructions and now everthing works great

it doesnt boot from the CDs tho, it reads the disk ( i can hear it ), but it doesnt get anywhere just stays on the grey screen

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
Carlson-online said:
ok was just checking
my suggestion would be to take it into a service centre and let them have a look at it for you hopefully you still have warranty on the ibook? or a protection plan
also did you just installl anything new or and updates for your system?

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2004
elisha cuthbert said:
ok was just checking
my suggestion would be to take it into a service centre and let them have a look at it for you hopefully you still have warranty on the ibook? or a protection plan
also did you just installl anything new or and updates for your system?

no its a year out of it.

i hadnt done anything in terms of system changes for it happened no.

im gonna take the HDD drive n try it in another PC, if that still works ok ill go to apple

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
Carlson-online said:
no its a year out of it.

i hadnt done anything in terms of system changes for it happened no.

im gonna take the HDD drive n try it in another PC, if that still works ok ill go to apple
goo dluck wiht that hope everything works out
and good luck with apple if it turns up you go to them

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A PC won't work with a Mac-formatted hard drive, even if it's 100% okay. The fact it's not booting from the CD means it's probably not the hard drive that has failed here. I really think an Apple technician is your only option unfortunately. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.