Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Hello all,

My wife's iBok 600 is having MAJOR battery issues. I have tried to reset PRAM and the PMU through the prescribed method from Apple, but when I do these things, nothing is changed. Resetting the PMU should reset the date and time as well as some other settings, but nothing is ever changed. Any ideas on what to do? She is WAY out of warranty on this.

Regards,
Gus

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Sure,

About 3 weeks ago, her battery life went from about 1hr and 45 min to a max of 20 minutes. Now, I have had batteries doe on me before, but this was an overnight thing, not gradual at all. I want to try and reset the PMU to see if I can get more battery life out of it, but the PMU does not seem to reset.

Regards,
Gus

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
This is an acknowledged problem. The same sort of thing has happened to me before and it's a pain in the butt. Mine was still under warranty, fortunately.

I suspect that your wife needs a new battery, but I'd take it in to an Apple Store just to make sure.

At best, a new battery will fix things up. At worst, the entire PMU needs to be replaced.

When you get it fixed (if you so choose) be sure to use the iBook off of AC power until the computer goes to sleep because the battery's done at least once a week. It has to do with the way the battery manager resets itself.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.