Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
When I close my screen, my iBook sleeps. How do I make it so it doesn't do that? Also, is there a way to turn off the monitor, and close the screen, and have it still on?

Also, can I do all this on a MBP?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
With an external display and keyboard/mouse, the MacBook Pro will be able to do this natively. It's called clamshell mode. However, this feature wasn't built into the iBooks so you need a hack called Screen Spanning Doctor to be able to do it. Remember, the iBook dissipates much of its heat through the keyboard so forcing it to work hard with the lid closed can cause it to overheat. Ideally, keep the lid open. :)

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
So clamshell mode will turn the display off, but keep running the computer? If so, how do I activate this mode?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Not quite. Clamshell mode will let you add an external (second) monitor. Then, if you close the iBook's lid, you can just use the external but heat dissipation will be reduced. Unplugging the second monitor should be sufficient to have the iBook running normally but if you want to remove the hack completely, you'll just have to reset the PRAM. :)

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
mad jew said:
Not quite. Clamshell mode will let you add an external (second) monitor. Then, if you close the iBook's lid, you can just use the external but heat dissipation will be reduced. Unplugging the second monitor should be sufficient to have the iBook running normally but if you want to remove the hack completely, you'll just have to reset the PRAM. :)
But I mean on the MBP, the clamshell mode will turn of the monitor while keeping the computer running? And so on the MBP, how do I turn the clamshell mode on?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Ahh, on the MacBook Pro the feature is inbuilt. You shouldn't have to do anything other than just plug your display into the appropriate port. Then to turn off your inbuilt display, just close the lid. You won't have the heat dissipation problems I was talking about earlier because the MacBook Pro was designed to be able to run like this. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.