Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gnomon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2010
I'm currently using a Kindle, and would like to switch to iPad at some point soon. What I'm wondering is: has Apple managed to wrangle a significant amount of content for sale on the iBook Store? I was browsing the store at FutureShop today, and it looked like the only things available were in the public domain. Any of the authors I searched for didn't seem available (John Sandford, Reginald Hill, Robert Heinlein).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or am I going to have to continue to buy my books through Amazon, and use the Kindle App?

Rob

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I agree that the iBook Store os weak in content, but the fact that the iPad is three eReaders in one is very appealing. I have the iBook, Kindle and B&N apps. I have found books on B&N that are free but are anywhere from $1-4 each on the other two.

Personally, I like the reading GUI best on the iBook app.

I wish that we would hear more of which publishing houses will be releasing more content under the iBook Store. I would love to get more Cisco Press books under the iBook versus Kindle app.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
kindle is device independent. you can read your books on mac, pc, kindle, iphone, ipad, ipod touch and adroid (i think).

i would always prefer this over a apple ipad only player.

i'm not sure what apple is thinking but i can have kindle books synced on all my macs and the iphone and the ipad but apples own reader only runs on one device? wtf?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.