Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imy0urh3r0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Hey all...first time poster...long time lurker...hopefully someone here has come across my situation...alright, so last night i decided to perform the software update...everything was fine...flyig through everything...then my internet went down in the middle of the update and my Ibook froze...however i did not know the internet went down...so i just forced quit out of the update since it was frozen...then i restarted...now it wont turn on and load into the o/s...i get a black box in the middle of the screen with the poewr icon in the middle and it says to restart computer...i havent been able to get passed this...

Has anyone came across this? Any ideas on what to do? Can i boot from my OS X disc and get back in and if so do i lose everything?

any help is appreciated...ill be here all day trying to fix this...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
You're probably going to have to reformat it.

First, start up with the Apple hardware test CD that came with the iBook. This will give you an idea if it's a hardware issue or a corrupt OS issue. It may have only installed half of an updated OS, etc. If the OS is corrupt, reformatting is the way to go, but you're going to loose eveything.

I would try connecting it to another Mac in FireWire Target Mode (look that up). You may then be able to recover some files.

Next, boot up from the OS CD and use Disk Utility to reformat and zero the drive. Exit Disk Utility and continue with the OS Installer.

If this doesn't work, call Apple. You may wish to call them first before testing anything as well. Try the Hardware CD first, though as that'll give you at least some clue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.