Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atacinus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
New York City
Okay, here.s a question...I.m looking to get a 12' book to do some video editing on the go...now as of now I can afford one of the two -

either a 12' iBook with 80gb hard drive and 1gb ram

or

a 12' powerbook with 60gb harddrive and 512mb ram

I might be able to upgrade the powerbook ram later, but that is a maybe...which should I go with?

Christien.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hmm... The iBook is very tempting but the PowerBook would be slightly more competent so long as you promise to upgrade the RAM. Video editing is all about RAM and hard drive space. :)

The iBook really should suffice unless you want to start using external displays which is when the better graphics card and the inbuilt spanning feature really would help.

Have you used a 12 inch screen before? Do you think you'll be fine working from one? It's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be however I've got very good eyesight. So, if you think you'll be needing an external display, get the PowerBook with 1GB of RAM at least. Otherwise, get the iBook.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
atacinus said:
Okay, here.s a question...I.m looking to get a 12' book to do some video editing on the go...now as of now I can afford one of the two -

either a 12' iBook with 80gb hard drive and 1gb ram

or

a 12' powerbook with 60gb harddrive and 512mb ram

I might be able to upgrade the powerbook ram later, but that is a maybe...which should I go with?

Christien.

if the powerbook has the superdrive then the powerbook, writing DVDs can be useful to export the movies and also to save data and free up the HD.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If you can afford the PowerBook, get the PowerBook.

64 MB vs 32 MB VRAM, up to 100 BG HD and mainly the DVI out

are all important factors to consider.

12" is highly portable, but small for long projects, so the PowerBook's

DVI out and better VRAM would sway my decision to upgrade.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
powerbook

I would say powerbook. It has a superdrive, double the vram, slightly faster processor, and spanning. The superdrive is very important for video editting, the combo. (slightly) faster processor and double the vram will make it a better preformer, and the spanning will come in handy when you want a bigger, easier to use screen at the desk. I would definetely wait for the update. I know that everyone thinks it's going to suck, but i think it will be at least a little better. Good luck with your purchase!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If you need a superdrive, the ability to span to an external monitor (not using the hack) or the ability to input audio without using an imic then go with the powerbook. For what you say you are going to use it for, I would get a powerbook.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Go with the PowerBook. Sure, I made be biased because I love my PowerBook, but it is a pro tool and should help you to get more work done. Plus, the Aluminum is pretty ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.