Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I think my video card might be dying, I'm not exactly positive, or don't know how to check. What's happening is that there seems to be some blurring of letters in several different programs. This still occurs after I did a clean install. Is there any definate way to check to see if my video card might be fialing me, and is that covered under the warranty?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you have a valid warranty then, yes, failure of the video chip (it's not a card in an iBook) would be covered. It does not sound like a failure though. Have you tried playing with the font smoothing settings? You could try running the hardware test on the restore CD/DVD.

Failure normally shows up as graphics corruption, not blurred text.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Blurring of letters is normal, it's part of the Anti Aliasing system used to get rid of the jaggie/blocky letters.

Some people don't like it, but it can be improved by calibrating the display -- and tweaking the AA settings.

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
If you are getting artifcats, then it is likely a cooling issue.. blurring text I'm not sure.. probably isn't an issue.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
my concern is that this problem is just suddenly occuring and i've had the computer for two years now

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
brsboarder said:
my concern is that this problem is just suddenly occuring and i've had the computer for two years now
If your screen calibration settings got changed or messed up -- it will instantly throw your screen out of whack.

Even an LCD display will change as it ages -- calibrate the display.

The standard calibration settings the machine ship with suck, calibrating the display even helps new machines.

BTW -- calibrate the display.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
calibrating now, doesn't seem to fix it, but I have another question. If I want an external display, can I get any that I want, or am I limited to like a 17in or something. I tried searching apple's website, but couldn't find info. I'm running an:
Ibook g4 800mhz w/ 640mb ram, I was looking to buy:
BenQ 20" Wide DVI LCD
8ms 600:1 300 cd/m2
1680 x 1050 WSXGA+

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
my ibook isn't one of those mentioned w/ the problem, so I doubt its that, I just don't have a clue what could be wrong

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
brsboarder said:
calibrating now, doesn't seem to fix it, but I have another question. If I want an external display, can I get any that I want, or am I limited to like a 17in or something. I tried searching apple's website, but couldn't find info. I'm running an:
Ibook g4 800mhz w/ 640mb ram, I was looking to buy:
BenQ 20" Wide DVI LCD
8ms 600:1 300 cd/m2
1680 x 1050 WSXGA+

You can buy whatever screen you want but unless you have installed the spanning hack you are limited to mirroring your internal display at the same resolution. With the hack you can have spanning as well as mirroring and run at higher resolutions...

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
will that hack allow me to run my computer off the external display mirrored, but with upgraded resolution. I would think it would be very weird to have spanning between a 12in notebook and a nice 19in monitor.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
brsboarder said:
will that hack allow me to run my computer off the external display mirrored, but with upgraded resolution. I would think it would be very weird to have spanning between a 12in notebook and a nice 19in monitor.

Mirrored is mirrored. same contents on both screens and clearly to do that, the same resolution.

I used to use G3 iBook with the hack and spanning and it worked fine. It's just like using a PowerBook or MacBook with an external display.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
usually I keep my laptop inside my desk where a keyboard would go, therefore feel like spanning might be awkward.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Just because you are using spanning doesn't mean that you have to keep any windows on the iBook screen! Simply move the menu bar over to the external display and don't move any windows onto the iBook screen!

The spanning hack also enables clamshell mode so you can run the iBook closed using only the external screen (with a USB keyboard and mouse). This is not recommended though as the iBook vents heat through the keyboard (unlike PowerBooks and MacBooks). Running an iBook in clamshell mode may cause it to overheat and even damage the hardware.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
i bought a widescreen display, but when i plug it in and hook it up non-mirrored, the display says input not supported, if I do mirrored its fine, but extremely distorted, whats wrong?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
use a different font and size and see how that looks. I also have a bit of a blurry fonts (even with the MR website!!) on my PB G4 and my iBook G3. My G5 with an old Apple CRT from 1992 is crystal clear. Even though there is a better graphics card in my PB (9700) then in my G5 (9600). To make a long story short, it's probably the combination of resolution, fonttype, size and Apple's Anti Aliasing on a LCD such as in your laptop! If you open a Word document, the text is probably crystal clear, isn't it??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.