Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I am looking to sell my emac and buy an ibook for portability issues. I have looked at the specs to see if the ibook is comperable to the emac but some of them look greek to me like video memory etc. Basically I want something that has pretty much the same specs as my emac but is portable. will the ibook do it? BTW, if I had all the $ in the world I'd buy a powerbook, but that is not an option.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
jmufellow said:
I am looking to sell my emac and buy an ibook for portability issues. I have looked at the specs to see if the ibook is comperable to the emac but some of them look greek to me like video memory etc. Basically I want something that has pretty much the same specs as my emac but is portable. will the ibook do it? BTW, if I had all the $ in the world I'd buy a powerbook, but that is not an option.

The current iBooks and eMacs have nearly identical performance, with a few exceptions that favor the eMac. The Radeon 9550 and 9600, used in the iBook and eMac respectively are more or less the same, however the eMac has 64mb VRAM while the iBook has 32mb. This doesn't mean much in terms of everyday usage, but the extra VRAM does help with graphically-intensive tasks such as 3d gaming. The eMac also uses 7200 rpm hard drives while the iBook uses 4200 rpm drives, which translates to better overall disk performance for the eMac. You might notice that the eMac boots and loads programs slightly faster. Generally I think if you switch to the iBook you won't notice much difference at all.

And don't worry about the PowerBook option IMO. The iBook is by far the better value right now.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
jmufellow said:

LOL, yeah it is Greek isnt it :p

I simple question do you use that graphics card alot like in games, graphic intensive apps. If so the iBook consumer graphic card won't do for you.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
aquajet said:
The current iBooks and eMacs have nearly identical performance, with a few exceptions that favor the eMac. The Radeon 9550 and 9600, used in the iBook and eMac respectively are more or less the same, however the eMac has 64mb VRAM while the iBook has 32mb. This doesn't mean much in terms of everyday usage, but the extra VRAM does help with graphically-intensive tasks such as 3d gaming. The eMac also uses 7200 rpm hard drives while the iBook uses 4200 rpm drives, which translates to better overall disk performance for the eMac. You might notice that the eMac boots and loads programs slightly faster. Generally I think if you switch to the iBook you won't notice much difference at all.

And don't worry about the PowerBook option IMO. The iBook is by far the better value right now.

The eMac is a MUCH better computer.......

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
MacSA said:
The eMac is a MUCH better computer.......

No it's not. There's not much of anything that makes the eMac a superior computer. Maybe you could say that about the dual 2.7...
:rolleyes:

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
DeSnousa said:
I simple question do you use that graphics card alot like in games, graphic intensive apps. If so the iBook consumer graphic card won't do for you.

Neither of these machines are suited for heavy 3d gaming.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
DeSnousa said:
We really need more info in what you use your computer for? Then we can better help you :)
Sorry, yeah, I bought my emac last year... 1.25 GHz processor, etc. Pretty much the same emac that they are selling now but just a slightly lower clock speed.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
chucknorris said:
You didn't answer the question. What do you USE it for?
uh, yeah, let me try that again :eek: use it for internet, music, word processing, photos, blah blah, the works, BUT I would like to (this will sound weird for an ibook) run final cut pro on it too because of my major--media arts and design and they require knowledge of final cut pro. Is it too much of a stretch to run something that heavy duty on an iBook? I just don't have the money for a pb

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
jmufellow said:
uh, yeah, let me try that again :eek: use it for internet, music, word processing, photos, blah blah, the works, BUT I would like to (this will sound weird for an ibook) run final cut pro on it too because of my major--media arts and design and they require knowledge of final cut pro. Is it too much of a stretch to run something that heavy duty on an iBook? I just don't have the money for a pb

Well, if you want to run Final Cut you'll want to max out the hd. Other than that, it will be VERY slow.

If you can't afford a PowerBook though, and portability is a must then you're kind of stuck.

For everything else you mentioned, the iBook will run like a dream (TRUST ME!).

My only recommendation would be to get an iMac if you can afford the immobility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.