Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firteen888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Hey all,

I just finished my first book on the iPad. I hate to delete it, but I also don't want to just leave it on the top row of the shelf. Is there Any way to move the book to the bottom of the shelf OR put it in a 'finished books' section? I don't think there is but I figure I'll ask in case I'm missing something. I'd like to be able to go back down the line and see all the books I've read. Would anybody else want something like this?

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
The only thing you can do is click "Edit" in the top right corner and drag it to the end of the collection. Remember, if you delete it it will still be in iTunes if you ever want it back.

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I'd love to be able tomove finished books to a separate bookself. (And if I could separqte my fiction and nonfiction, too, even better.) I imported 100 or so epubs--putting them in some semblance of order in the "bookshelf" view was a pain in the ass, butit's so much prettier than list view.

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Change your setting under books in iTunes to sync only selected books? Is that possible? I can't really tell you right now if that works or not because my wife is hoarding my iPad (yea, the thing she told me is "just a toy") and I can't try it myself. But I'm pretty sure you could just not sync the finished ones.

RoyalKay

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2008
Yes, you can uncheck a book after you are finished and it will delete it off the ipad for you, but leave it on your computer. If you want to make your bookshelf in some order, go the the list view, and got to edit and drag the right side of the title (the three bars) up or down after you have already pressed the shelf sort button on the bottom of the screen. (Much faster than trying to drag the books on the shelf view.)

firteen888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
I know I can remove finished books from the shelf, but what I want is a seperate shelf of all my finished books. Something I can go back to in a year (or something I can show someone else) and say I've read all these books. or maybe an option that puts a "check mark" on the books that have been finished. I know I can keep them in Itunes but it would be nice to have a section n the ipad for finished books.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We may see better shelf management with updates. At the moment it looks very pretty, but get a stack load of books and its a scrolling mess.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I do hope they add more bookshelf control. Its very rudimentary right now so i don't see why they wouldn't.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Guess I did not think about it till now after reading this thread. Your right and I hope with 4.0 and Folders being an option I hope it will carry over to the iBooks App. I'm not so sure it will b/c it's an App and not part of the OS in the same way but your all right, we are going to need a way to manage Books.

I am not sure I want to be dependent on managing via iTunes like mentioned above. It works but I would think there is a better solution.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I am not sure I want to be dependent on managing via iTunes like mentioned above. It works but I would think there is a better solution.

At the same time though, that's exactly how we manage all other content. Granted, for whatever reason, the books are delivered through a separate app and so may require a different strategy. For me it would make the most sense if books were treated just like any other media - as part of iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.