Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
The newest rev (1.33Ghz 12" and 1.42Ghz 14") support Core Image.
To my understanding, Core Image takes graphic processing load off the processor and leaves more processing power for you.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
From my new 1.42 ibook Graphics/Displays info:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550:

Chipset Model: ATY,M12
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e56
Revision ID: 0x0080
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-117
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display:

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
commonpeople said:
From my new 1.42 ibook Graphics/Displays info:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550:

Chipset Model: ATY,M12
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e56
Revision ID: 0x0080
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-117
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display:

The Mobility 9700 is "M11"... weird.

Anyone know why Apple disabled, yet again, Quartz 2D Extreme in 10.4.3?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
rye9 said:
Do iBooks support Core Image? If so, what are benefits? If not, what are disadvantages?
They do. If it wouldn't have the capabilities, really, the only difference that you will find noticeable is in Dashboard. Other than that... idunno. :eek:

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
lilstewart92 said:
They do. If it wouldn't have the capabilities, really, the only difference that you will find noticeable is in Dashboard. Other than that... idunno. :eek:

CoreImage greatly increases GUI performance, cuz not only cpu (and AltiVec) aminates GUI, but also GPU, which are very powerful for such things

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Core Image isn't even used at all at the moment except for the Dashboard ripple effect. In other words, it doesn't do a damn thing for you unless an app is specifically coded to take advantage of it, which none are at the moment. Quartz Extreme is what handles the GPU graphics offloading, and any Mac from the past 3 1/2 years supports that.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
dferrara said:
The Mobility 9700 is "M11"... weird.

It's not used in the OS. Tiger doesn't use Quartz 2D Extreme - at least that's what the Apple Update talked about.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
dferrara said:

Quartz 2D Extreme has never been a supported feature of Tiger. It appears that Apple is refactoring their graphics (and perhaps GPU) code behind the scenes (the system interfaces used by developers are unchanged) and a side-effect of this is that the experimental Quartz 2D Extreme stuff in Tiger is currently causing the Mac kernel to panic (typically within a few minutes of Quartz 2D Extreme being turned on). Expect 10.4.4 or Leopard to offer significant graphics performance improvements over Tiger 10.4.3.

http://www.macosrumors.com/20051102A.php has some speculation on this.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
lilstewart92 said:

A lot of the Pro apps use Core Image....Motion, Aperture, and I think that Photobooth does use it to for the filters;)

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Platform said:
A lot of the Pro apps use Core Image....Motion, Aperture, and I think that Photobooth does use it to for the filters;)

Nah, photoshop doesn't use CoreImage for the filters, although it would greatly benefit if it did. The problem is, CoreImage is not OS independent so it would require Adobe to rewrite just for the Mac.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
eXan said:
CoreImage greatly increases GUI performance, cuz not only cpu (and AltiVec) aminates GUI, but also GPU, which are very powerful for such things

CoreImage does not accelerate the GUI. It accelerates image processing. GUI acceleration is done by Quartz Extreme.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
SpaceMagic said:
Nah, photoshop doesn't use CoreImage for the filters, although it would greatly benefit if it did. The problem is, CoreImage is not OS independent so it would require Adobe to rewrite just for the Mac.

I did not say Photoshop did.....:confused:

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
lol

Platform said:
I did not say Photoshop did.....:confused:

hehe... I made the same mistake when I read it. PhotoBooth. Yes, that's certainly true.

EDIT: Also, I'll bet that Leopard has more uses for it

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
rye9 said:
True, but the iBook has ATI MOBILITY Radeon 9550, so now im not sure if it really is supported.

Everyone agrees that it is supported, and commonpeople even posted the system profiler section stating that Core Image is supported on his iBook, and you still don't believe it? If you search the forums, you will find many people stating that Core Image is supported by the latest iBooks. I have a new iBook, and it has the ripple effect. System profiler says Core Image is supported. Apple's list of supported cards on the Core Image site is not complete; my dad's Powerbook has a Mobility 9600 that supports Core Image even though it isn't on the list.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
rye9 said:
True, but the iBook has ATI MOBILITY Radeon 9550, so now im not sure if it really is supported.
Here's a screenshot, it is supported. I was afraid of getting an iBook because I thought it wasn't supported. When I took it home and looked at the System Profiler I was amazed that it was.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    114 KB · Views: 113

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
slooksterPSV said:
Here's a screenshot, it is supported. I was afraid of getting an iBook because I thought it wasn't supported. When I took it home and looked at the System Profiler I was amazed that it was.

Thank you so much slookster! I have no worries about this anymore and I cant wait to get the same model iBook that you have! (the 12 inch)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
rye9 said:
Thank you so much slookster! I have no worries about this anymore and I cant wait to get the same model iBook that you have! (the 12 inch)
You'll love it, its so small, sleek, and just built right. Widgets are fast, like they are on a G5, the Doom 3 demo, you can play. It averages out, on mine when I didn't install MySQL & 10.4.3 (had 10.4.2, everything closed), about 30FPS (sometimes (enemies) would make it go to 6 FPS) while looking at a closed area it would be up to 60FPS). Now I don't suggest going out and buying Doom 3, I'd rather have someone test that out see how it runs through the entire game before I'd go and purchase it.

One thing I'm going to mention is I have about 13GB of HDD left (out of 37.14GB Total (40GB * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = Actual GB). So if you need more space, get an external FW or USB Hard drive or enclosure then buy a hard drive for the enclosure. I have a 30GB upstairs that I should go get, I've download 1.4GB, my Niece's DVD (from iMovie HD) just pictures is taking up about 3.7GB. .... Here's my home folder size, how about that? 7.56GB OMG!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
rye9 said:
How do u know this?

Because I have one? LOL. :)

Go for it, they're such awesome computers. I wouldn't think about trading it for ANYTHING. :)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
ITASOR said:
Because I have one? LOL. :)

Go for it, they're such awesome computers. I wouldn't think about trading it for ANYTHING. :)
My dad kepts asking me: "Now you're not going to trade this are you?" of course I said no cause I'm not going to. The reason being is after I bought my PB G3 233MHz Wallstreet 2MB VRAM, 288MB RAM, 20GB HDD from.... someone on this Forum, can't remember who, I sold it like in 2 or 3 months for the price I bought it for. The reason being the Sleep issue (no backlight when woke up from sleep) in Jaguar. Plus I wanted Exposé (OPT+e makes a yellow maker then press e without OPT held = é), but I did purchase the original Jaguar Discs... ok so it was from an eMac - eMac Jaguar discs from http://www.macsales.com/ after that I purchased an iMac G3 333MHz 6GB HDD, 288MB HDD, 4MB RAM from MacAztec (very good buyer, he fixed the CDROM Drive (took it from another iMac) cause it wouldn't work originally). I still have that iMac G3. Next I bought an iBook G3 500MHz, 20GB HDD, 320MB RAM, 8MB VRAM and loved it. Gave it to my sister. Now I have this beautiful machine.

My dad bought me this machine along with AppleCare for it. Want a screenshot of the entire thing?
attachment.php

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
"The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (4x AGP) with 32 MB of vRAM, not sufficient to run some Core Image effects such as the Ripple." I got this quote from the Mac Guides on this site. I do believe you guys that the iBooks do have the Ripple but why is there so much talk that iBooks do not support the Ripple?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
rye9 said:
"The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (4x AGP) with 32 MB of vRAM, not sufficient to run some Core Image effects such as the Ripple." I got this quote from the Mac Guides on this site. I do believe you guys that the iBooks do have the Ripple but why is there so much talk that iBooks do not support the Ripple?
That one little word MOBILITY sends everyone into a Panic. I'll contact Mr. Anderson, or another one of the administrators to edit that guide. I do the ripple effect sooooooo much on this iBook.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Core_Image this one says it's supported

I edited the guide, cause it is supported fully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.