Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjherald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
This will be a long post but i hope some of the mega brains in the forum can shed some light on the problem.....i have 4k books on my iPad(a lot i know) when i connect the iPad to my iMac and open iTunes iTunes only sees 672 of the books. ones that i had checked are not now checked. apple is supposedly working on the problem. this problem began when i upgraded to iOS 8 and 10.9.5 on mavericks. I have a beta copy of Yosemite and this weirdness seems to be there as well. Ibooks is no better in Yosemite that it is in Mavericks, still ungodly slow, slow to show cover art on some books. I have reloaded iOS numerous times, reinstalled all of my books numerous times(this takes a very long time because if i chose Sync All Books, iTunes cancels the sync after a hundred books or so)

Has anyone else had problems such as these? Thanks for any help in advance

rjherald
imac(2012) 8gb mem
ipad air(5 months old)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
4k is a lot of books. I have substantially fewer and have pretty much always had syncing issues. I have blamed some of those issues on the lack of RAM in my iOS devices.

iBooks has been a significant step backward for me. While it is nice to be able to actually read books on my Mac, that is not my primary use - I read on my iPad. The loss of the ability to edit metadata and otherwise manage books like I handle my other iTunes content has meant that all of my non-iTunes-purchased books have been moved to calibre. No criticism of calibre is intended when I say I am very disappointed in Apple for making me have to do that. I move selected books to iTunes when I want to sync them for reading (or I add them on the fly - see below).

As to your syncing problems my solution was always to "sync selected books" and then incrementally add books. In this way I could eventually sync all of my books to my iPad and it would be fine until I restored it for some reason. I only have hundreds of books to your thousands, but it worked for me.

You may have to resign yourself (as I have) to only sync some subset of your library. I find that it is not that much of a hardship - it is pretty easy for me to add books on the fly (I use the little python web server "python -m SimpleHTTPServer" in Terminal).

edit: Even now, the app does not recognize the purchased books that I have synced to my iPad. As far as the bookstore is concerned, none of my purchased books are there. Of course if I return to my library they are all there and readable. Some time when I have time I will delete everything and download from the cloud and see if it straightens itself out.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.