Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I'm just upgrading to a dual G4 and OSX, and I have Office X. I'm wondering about iCal vs. the calendar in Entourage, and Mail vs. Entourage for e-mail.

Regarding e-mail, I run a one-man design shop, so I send & receive a lot of big attachments. Other than that, I don't think my mail needs are particularly special.

Regarding calendars, I'd like to sync my calendar with my wife's over the LAN. As far as I can tell, I'd have to get a .Mac account (and another account for my wife?) to do this with iCal. I can't tell yet whether Entourage will let me sync calendars via our LAN (stupid MS documentation).

I love Apple's software, but if it can't do the job (yet), I'll use MS. Any recommendations?

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
well i'm probably the only one thats going to argue it this way....but

i like entourage a lot better than mail and ical. i like having all the stuff in one window area also i like the look and feel of entourage a lot better than mail...just me

unfortunately i can't help you with syncing calenders with other computers.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I also like Entourage. It made the move from OS 9 really simple. All I had to do was Import from my other computer. Mail and Safari have not impressed me enough to make them my defaults. The "metal" GUI is just plain ugly.

I'm going to experiment the "synch" functions to see which I like better. When I come to any conclusions, I'll post them.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I'm just a lowly college student, but I find mail and ical to be at least workable. Mail more so than ical. I've never had a major problem with mail. ical has some annoying idiosyncracies to get around which will hopefully be addressed in the next version, due out soon (fingers crossed).

Just my experience/opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.