Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Ok,

long story short, I have added some recurring events a while back and now I want to delete them, the alarm shows but when I look for the event it's not there, let me give you an example, a birthday reminder, I deleted the entry off the phonebook but the event keeps popping out problem being I can't find it into iCal as to delete it, how's that possible???

Grazie

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
I have the same problem. I've posted on various forums, no one can seem to answer this. It's an iCal mystery.
Here is my original post:

There is an iCal alert reminder that keeps popping up around the end of the month up to the 2nd of each month, as in it shows up about 4 times.
Let me be clear. This is an iCal reminder I placed to pay a prepaid cellular. It is NOT a "Reminder" alert. When I select the popup alert, it opens iCal.

I have searched this and other forums. There are some hits with replies saying try this and try that, but no solves or resolutions and the OP has never come back and said how they fixed it or if they ever did.
There are some replies that suggest to wipe out all your reminders in Terminal, yet the OP said it didn't help and I'd like to find a less destructive solution.
I'm willing to try just about anything though. Keep in mind I am not an Apple Genius and don't know Terminal, so don't rattle off some instructions that you understand, because I probably won't. Give me the dumb person version.

I have searched my iCal and Reminders and nothing with any letters or words in the reminder comes up. I have selected and de-selected various notifications (as many suggested in the posts I found).
This is happening to others so I know it's not just me, but I have yet to find a solution.

Free beer to anyone that can help me solve this mystery.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 12.01.31 PM.png

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It's possible that your Calendar database has become corrupted. Are any of your calendars under the heading "On My Mac"? If they aren't, you could try turning off calendar syncing for all Internet Accounts, delete the database files that are in youruseraccount>Library>Calendars, and then re-enable the calendars.

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
I deleted all the calendars under "on my mac" only have iCloud bases calendars.
I only have calendar syncing for my one primary iCloud account. (I think this is what you are referring to) The calendar is unchecked on all the external internet accounts.
I went in and deleted all the iCal-cache files in Library folder. It still came up.
Attached is the latest one.
I clicked on it and it brought up a calendar going back to 2015, but on that date there is nothing listed at the 12pm scheduled time. It's a ghost...hahaha

I also did a Spot Light search and it found an Aug 2 and Sept 2 iCal scheduled event with 3 alerts each. Nothing after Sept 2 though.
I'll try and attached that.
[doublepost=1509609481][/doublepost]Here is the other attachment, I could not put it with the last reply

Attachments

• AIS Image.png
    AIS Image.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 2.56.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 2.56.42 PM.png
    230 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
To be clear...you unchecked syncing calendars for the iCloud account, deleted ALL the files in the youruseraccount>Library>Calendars folder, and then re-checked the calendar syncing?

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
I don't believe I did it in that order. Where and how would I do that?
It seems that would delete all my current Calendar entries as they are all on the single iCloud (email) account...no?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Your calendar entries are in the cloud if you indeed don’t have an “On My Mac” calendar. Unchecking calendar sync, deleting the Library/Calendar files and then rechecking calendar sync would be the same as adding a new Mac.

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
This would delete all my current calendar entries?
Why do I want to add a new Mac?
Does this somehow lead to fixing the reappearing Calendar reminder?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
We have hijacked this forum from the OP, Trouble1, but I'll answer as well as I can.

What I am suggesting is that the Calendar database files that reside in your youruseraccount>Library>Calendars folder MAY be corrupt. Deleting them and then re-syncing will rebuild all of the files. IF your calendar entries are all syncing with the cloud via an iCloud account, then you can perform the procedure I described in post #5. If you want to confirm beforehand that your calendars are syncing with iCloud properly you may log in at icloud.com and check.

I was making an analogy between performing the procedure and connecting a new Mac to your existing iCloud account.

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
I'd hardly call this a "hijacking".
First of all, the OP and I have similar problems.
Secondly, no one replied to him in almost 2 months.
I'm not getting answer as to if I do what your suggesting in post #5, will it permanently delete my current calendar entries? Not something I want to do.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yes, When I log into iCloud.com using Safari and select calendar, I see all my calendar events.

As expected.

So, on your Mac, if you first turn off calendar syncing for iCloud and, second, delete the database files discussed above, and then, third, turn syncing back on...the database files will rebuild. You will not be deleting any events. This might fix the original issue.

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
As expected.

So, on your Mac, if you first turn off calendar syncing for iCloud and, second, delete the database files discussed above, and then, third, turn syncing back on...the database files will rebuild. You will not be deleting any events. This might fix the original issue.

Ok, now I understand.
Is a restart required between the delete and turning syncing back on?
I will do this and let you know how it turns out.
IF it works, I will not get a reminder the end of this month or the 1st and 2nd of next month.

Stay tuned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.