Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Looprumors claims to have details on the upcoming iChat update (version 2.0).

As previously reported - reliable MacRumors sources have indicated that the next iChat revision will have Videoconferencing.

Looprumors adds that Apple is working on "a new compression technology" and wants to achieve a full 30fps... though at what bandwidth is not specified.

Unconfirmed MacRumors submissions claim that it will have "new compatabilities" -- possibly with Jabber, as well in as increased security, and a "security feature" to stop leaks.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
my 2 biggest complaints:

support for more user options [user profile, away messages while Idle, etc...]

and

make that send-message dialogue box sizable!:eek:

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
iChat is the best!!!

Great news about the new iChat! It is by far and away the best chat client out there. A couple features I wouldn't mind seeing:

-A feature that allows you to appear away to particular members, like on Yahoo! Messenger
-More emoticons (Like Yahoo!)

Keep up the good work, Apple!

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Jabber support seems like a no brainer, it would make it so easy for Apple to allow iChat to connect to other IM services almost at will.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
what i really want is the end of the dumb thing that closes and seals IM windows when a direct IM ends or you lose connection/log off. that annoys me a lot...

abdul

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
East Midlands, UK
Compression software

I want more information about the compression software that apple is making, that should allow (if rumours are anything to believe) 30fps, the equivalent of broadcast television!!! trust Apple to think of that idea, but when will they release the final version is another question! Anyone heard anymore rumours about the compression software?

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
What makes this possible is a new code called H264 also know as MP4-10...I can't wait :D

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
I'd like better file transfer support. Nothing seems to work for me while using ichat, but using the same name under AIM works fine. Profile support would be sweet, too.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Looprumors

I hope iChat 2.0 gives you more typing space so you don't have to fix it again when they update.

Looprumors also mentions some new features of 10.3, iChat 2.0 of course, and several others too. The one feature that would upset me though if it turns out to be true is a System-wide metal interface. I took me a year before I could enjoy aqua... I hope metal interface is a sick joke.

A

AhmedFaisal

How about ICQ support?

I hope ICQ will be supported. No one here in Europe uses America Offline.
Regards,

Ahmed

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Re: How about ICQ support?

Originally posted by AhmedFaisal
I hope ICQ will be supported. No one here in Europe uses America Offline.

I don't blame anyone (Europe or America) not wanting "America Online".
It's poop!

mkarr7

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2000
Unfortunately, H.264 also requires very large amounts of processing power... something most macs, such as mine, are lacking in.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Looprumors has updated this story to include a link to Apple's hiring page. The link doesn't go to a specific postion though. I searched through their openings and I assume that the position looprumors was linking to was for a codec developer...maybe for iChat 2??

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
One thing I'd like above all else is a notification in the chat window that a person has signed off or appears away. There have been many times when i'm chatting with someone, they sign off, but it doesn't notify me except thru the main list. Really annoying when you've typed something rather long out. Unless, of course, this is available in iChat, and i just have totally missed it.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
ICQ support?

I'd love ICQ support! Yeah I know icq sucks, but I have all my friends on it, so....
I wouldn't mind using iChat as my icq client since all the clients out there are quite buggy or lack some features (ixq for example doesn't have file transfer)..

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
My biggest complaints already mentioned i think better font and text color support could be in there (despite how much i like opening the text utility window, and hitting the colors drop down..). Hey just noticed iChat has a key command for show colors now, it's cmd-shift-C. well i think there should still be a button....

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Of course we all realize that videoconferencing built into an Apple app also opens the door for speculation about an Apple webcam.

Given the lack of many OS X compatible webcams on the market, I can see apple making their own FW based cams. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.