Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alfie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
I'm excited about the upcoming upgrade to iChat that will allow multi-way conferencing. My question is this: will we be able to have a multi-way conference with a mixture of Macs and PC's, or will it work only with Macs?

For example, my brother and I currently chat with me using iChat and him using AIM since he has a PC. When iChat 3 arrives, will my brother be able to join a chat between me and my father-in-law who uses a Mac with an iSight? Just curious.....

Alfie

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Alfie said:
I'm excited about the upcoming upgrade to iChat that will allow multi-way conferencing. My question is this: will we be able to have a multi-way conference with a mixture of Macs and PC's, or will it work only with Macs?

For example, my brother and I currently chat with me using iChat and him using AIM since he has a PC. When iChat 3 arrives, will my brother be able to join a chat between me and my father-in-law who uses a Mac with an iSight? Just curious.....

Alfie
It will only work if the PC user has a chat program that also uses H.264 video compression, like iChat AV 3 does. Other video compressors simply can't deliver multiple streams at a good enough quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.