Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinydancer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
North Carolina
Apple says that video quality will be dramaticlly improved in iChat, in the next OS upgrade. Do these imporovements only relate to sent images or received images as well? I guess I'm looking to hear some ideas on how much better iChat vid quality is going to get. How does HD play into all this, and is there any reason that iChat vid quality shouldn't ultimatlely (x number of years) be as good as a HD signal or hi res vid?

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
The video chat image quality will be improving because of the switch to the new version of MPEG-4, H.264. This won't have anything to do with sending or receiving images - it will have to do with video chat, through an iSight or whatnot.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
iChat vid conferencing ability is going to be better with Tiger courtesy of H.264/AVC, here's a linky from Apple about the new codec and showing you a little comparison.

dduchene

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
My question has been will they take advantage of the gain and allow 1 to 1 video chats over dail up before any one says anything 264 is suppose to be a 4 to 1 gain. I have done a 1 hour chat using 60k wireless modem. a 4 to 1 gain means that I can have that quality in 15k and a dail up can hadle this with room to spare. I have friends in some countries that there is almost no broadband (Porto Seguro Brazil) the only broadband is wireless at 60k for 600.00 set up and 140.00 a month sure makes my cable modem seem real cheap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.