Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hi there, here is a question that I hope someone could help me out with.

I have a .mac account, which I**use for iChat access too.

When underway, I use iSight and a Powerbook G4.

If I want a second iSight camera (with account) for my Mac at home to be able to correspond (video chat) with my family, do I need a complete 2nd .Mac account , or is purchasing a second .Mac e-mail address sufficient, to gain access to iChat on the home Mac? Anyone any experience with this?

Cheers!

:)

pipes

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2004
k2k koos said:
Hi there, here is a question that I hope someone could help me out with.

I have a .mac account, which I**use for iChat access too.

When underway, I use iSight and a Powerbook G4.

If I want a second iSight camera (with account) for my Mac at home to be able to correspond (video chat) with my family, do I need a complete 2nd .Mac account , or is purchasing a second .Mac e-mail address sufficient, to gain access to iChat on the home Mac? Anyone any experience with this?

Cheers!

:)

I certainly don't have experience with this however, a quick read up on iChat reveals the following:

How do I get an iChat "account"?

You can use your existing .Mac account ID or an AIM account ID. If you don't have either, sign up for .Mac or an AIM account.

and....

iChat works great for text chats. How do I get iChat AV for audio or video chats?

All you have to do is make sure your computer meets the iChat AV system requirements. If so, and if you have Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, it's real easy to "turn" iChat into iChat AV--just plug in an iSight. Or, you can use a microphone and third-party FireWire (DV) camera that works with iChat and Mac OS X.

So I think it is safe to assume providing both machines are using iChat as the client software, any .mac or aim account will work :)

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.