Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solantis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Im running iOS 9.3.3 and was jailbroken using Pangu. I've tried a few tweaks and one of them caused my phone to reboot and ever since I am unable to re-jailbreak. I've tried the online method. the chinese Pangu and the Enlgish with Impactor and all of them have the same results. After running the jailbreak the phone reboots.

After trying all of the above I decided to "Erase all content" and thought that might help but the results are the same. Cydia and the other jailbroken tweaks are still on my device and I cant remove them.

I suspect iCleaner Pro might have caused the problem.

Any idea how I can save the jailbreak or do I have to restore to iOS 10 now?

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
You already erased all content settings, so you might as well try this if you haven't yet.

Erase all content and settings
Set up as new phone
Jailbreak phone
Restore through itunes

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
You already erased all content settings, so you might as well try this if you haven't yet.

Erase all content and settings
Set up as new phone
Jailbreak phone
Restore through itunes

Did you actually read the post above? Misleading OP is not exactly nice......

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Let me say this and if you don't heed it...no worries for me. It's also unrelated to the OP's situation, but it jogged my memory which is why I am typing this...

Delete iCleaner from your device! (If you downloaded it.)

I have the paid version and it, along with the free version, DOES ABSOLUTELY nothing worthwhile. Yes, it will remove some cached stuff and maybe some trivial mish-mash as well...but the net gain is exactly that...trivial......and the cached stuff will come back again later anyway.

The risk to your jail-broken device far outweighs any benefit. I ran it once and once was enough for me.

It's the most overrated app in Cydia and it could %&#^@ your jail-broken device big-time.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Let me say this and if you don't heed it...no worries for me.

Delete iCleaner from your device!

I have the paid version and it, along with the free version, DOES ABSOLUTELY nothing worthwhile. Yes, it will remove some cached stuff and maybe some trivial mish-mash as well...but the net gain is exactly that...trivial......and the cached stuff will come back again later anyway.

The risk to your jail-broken device far outweighs any benefit. I ran it once and once was enough for me.

It's the most overrated app in Cydia and it could %&#^@ your jail-broken device big-time.
I have to disagree.

iCleaner Pro's ability to disable tweaks and delete preference files has saved my jailbreak more than once.

Cleaning cache files seems to be what it's become known for - and people overuse that function. It's supposed to be an occasional thing when you are having some issues, not a periodic maintence program.

Without iCleaner Pro there would have been several times I would have had to uninstall MANY tweaks just to find the ONE that was causing issues. Not a reality I wish to think about as I have about 200 tweaks installed.

It also got a bad rap back with the early release of the iOS 9 jailbreak. It hadn't been updated for iOS 9 at that point but people were using it and it caused problems which those people blamed on iCleaner Pro despite it not having been updated.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I have to disagree.

iCleaner Pro's ability to disable tweaks and delete preference files has saved my jailbreak more than once.

Cleaning cache files seems to be what it's become known for - and people overuse that function. It's supposed to be an occasional thing when you are having some issues, not a periodic maintence program.

Without iCleaner Pro there would have been several times I would have had to uninstall MANY tweaks just to find the ONE that was causing issues. Not a reality I wish to think about as I have about 200 tweaks installed.

It also got a bad rap back with the early release of the iOS 9 jailbreak. It hadn't been updated for iOS 9 at that point but people were using it and it caused problems which those people blamed on iCleaner Pro despite it not having been updated.

You can disable tweaks with it?...I didn't know that. But it still doesn't change my mind.

If you have had benefits from it, more power to you...I won't touch it again.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can disable tweaks with it?...I didn't know that. But it still doesn't change my mind.

If you have had benefits from it, more power to you...I won't touch it again.
Yes. You can also disable launch daemons and preference bundles.

2016-11-05 09.57.55.png 2016-11-05 09.58.18.png 2016-11-05 09.58.25.png 2016-11-05 09.58.35.png

I understand your refusal to use it. I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's a panacea to all problems. Just defending a bad rap it's gotten.

That said, many people don't realize that there is iCleaner and iCleaner Pro. I use iCleaner Pro. It's the extra abilities that I mention that the Pro version offers.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Yes. You can also disable launch daemons and preference bundles.

View attachment 670445 View attachment 670446 View attachment 670447 View attachment 670448

I understand your refusal to use it. I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's a panacea to all problems. Just defending a bad rap it's gotten.

That said, many people don't realize that there is iCleaner and iCleaner Pro. I use iCleaner Pro. It's the extra abilities that I mention that the Pro version offers.

I have the Pro version as well. (Thought I said that earlier...no worries.)

Reactions: eyoungren

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Did you actually read the post above? Misleading OP is not exactly nice......

I've had the same type of issue with the tethered jailbreak, although it was a different app that caused it, and those steps are what fixed it for me.

OP has the tethered 9.3.3 jailbreak, which means you have to re-jailbreak using the Pangu app everytime the phone reboots. After running Icleaner pro, it rebooted the phone which reverted to non-jailbroken state and OP tried to re-jailbreak using the Pangu app with no success.

When the phone is in the non-jailbroken state there is no way to remove cydia apps.

So to fix this issue, simply reset all content and settings, set up as new phone, jailbreak it and you should have no problems jailbreaking it since no tweaks are on the device yet, and then restore through itunes, just make sure you hit the right button in itunes, it's the restore, not the restore and update button.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
OK, so now I am curious, what happens when you hit the button "reset all content and settings" on a jailbroaken iPhone?

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
OK, so now I am curious, what happens when you hit the button "reset all content and settings" on a jailbroaken iPhone?

It will software brick the device if you are on an untethered jailbreak and you have to restore through Itunes. If you are on a tethered jailbreak such as the 9.3.3 jailbreak, it is safe to do so.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Sorry, but I don't believe that. BTW. it's semi-tethered jailbreak on 9.3.3 and not just tethered :)

Ups, just noticed....I made a mistake in my post above....it should read erase, not reset....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Its "Erase all content and settings."
Just dont do it if you want to keep your JB.
[doublepost=1478371902][/doublepost]
Sorry, but I don't believe that. BTW. it's semi-tethered jailbreak on 9.3.3 and not just tethered :)

On most previous fully untethered jailbreaks it put the device in a restore boot loop and the device got stuck at the apple logo.
On the latest semitethered JB it just messes up the filesystem and the JB files that were moved and altered thus losing the JB.

Reactions: bbrks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…If you are on a tethered jailbreak such as the 9.3.3 jailbreak, it is safe to do so.
I'm not sure about that.

I've heard too many stories over on the jailbreak subreddit about people doing that and Cydia still being on their device afterwards - and it being undeletable.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014

Ups, just noticed....I made a mistake in my post above....it should read erase, not reset....

Did you read the original post? OP was jailbroken and erased all content and settings. Now the issue OP is having is they are unable to re-jailbreak with the Pangu app because the old tweaks are still on there and OP has no access to remove them.
[doublepost=1478372309][/doublepost]
I'm not sure about that.

I've heard too many stories over on the jailbreak subreddit about people doing that and Cydia still being on their device afterwards - and it being undeletable.

Think of it as a last case scenario. If all else fails. There's definitely better solutions but if nothing else works then you don't have much to lose. And in this specific case OP has already erased everything before, so they won't have anything to lose by doing it again.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I guess now you have to read post no. 14, the bottom part please :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.