Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johno33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2021
Hi there, I am just wondering , if I logged into my new iPhone with my old iCloud account backup , and then created a new iCloud account on that phone, could I back up the original accounts data to the new account?

Also,what data is stored on the iPhone itself? I am wondering how safe it is to sell it?
Thanks in advance .

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
As far as selling it goes, you should go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings. It’s been a while since I’ve done it, but iirc, that will prompt you to disable Find My, sign out of iCloud and then wipe your iPhone to its factory state. There will be nothing of yours left on the device at all.

As for your other question, It wouldn’t work completely, purchases and such are linked to a single iCloud account, those you cannot transfer at all (which is why I still have to use two separate iCloud accounts, thanks to the days of Mobile Me, but I digress).

Some things, such as contacts can retain a copy of your data when you sign out of iCloud - it will ask you if you want to keep a copy on the phone, though it’s the basic essentials. Those you can transfer over to another account, when you sign in with the new iCloud account, it will ask you if you wish to merge the information on the phone with the new account.

Files stored in iCloud would need to be manually transferred over from a second device which is either still signed into your existing iCloud account, or have a hard copy of everything to move over manually.

.. Yup, it’s a kerfuffle, but it’s all part of the security of these accounts, so no nefarious characters can just swipe all of your data from you.

But you’ll forever be tied to the account you currently use for the AppStore, Apple Music and anything else you’ve ever purchased. You could get around it by enabling family sharing, so you have access to your purchases between accounts.

Or you can go down the route some of us didn’t get any other choice for. One account for iCloud and your existing account for the AppStore and such. There’s an option when you’re setting up your devices to sign in with the two separate accounts, or, you can do it manually in the Settings app.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You should have one account and should refrain from creating new ones for whatever reasons as a beginner. You cannot transfer data from account to account.

When an iPhone is sold you delete all data on it by erasing all content and settings.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Let me confirm: you have an old account with an old backup, you want to restore that backup to your new iPhone, and then create a new iCloud account and back up the new phone into that new iCloud account? That shouldn’t be a problem, but do note that you will lost all your purchases tied to your old iTunes account (if it’s the same as the old iCloud account).

iPhone is encrypted, so as long as you remove your iCloud account from it, remove find my, and reset the phone, you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.