Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikoli1978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
I sync my iPhone photos on iCloud. It's very convenient most of the time.

However, I take videos which can be quite lengthy... sometimes an hour long.

I often AirDrop videos onto my MBP for editing in FCP, which works quickly enough most of the time. However, it can take a very long time for the longer vids.

Yesterday I shot an hour long vid and also a 45 min vid... and today I thought I'd be smart and transfer them over USB/lighting.

Come to find out... it would seem it's impossible to do because they're sync'd to iCloud. I can't go into Photos on my MBP and bring them in yet because they're still uploading!

However, I can AirDrop them to my MBP. So I know the videos exist on my phone. After all, if I can xfer via AirDrop before they're in iCloud, then the actual files are there on the phone.

Is it just a matter of fact that photos/vids cannot be xfer'd via USB if photos/vids are set to sync via iCloud?

If so, that seems like a massive gap in Apple's iCloud offering. Please tell me there's a way to xfer via USB.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
Use IMAGE CAPTURE (in your Applications folder) and transfer whatever photo or video to whatever location you want. No iCloud needed.

nikoli1978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion Gwendolini, however... when I plug my phone in and open Image Capture, I can see my iPhone under devices, but there is a locked padlock next to it and nothing on the right side. No photos appear for importing/downloading.

It seems like if you sync with iCloud, you cannot "manually" xfer via USB.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
Have you unlocked your iPhone while it is connected to the Mac and Image Capture is open?

I do not use iCloud Photo Backup though, thus I cannot be sure, if that is the problem. If it is, then that is "expletive here".

nikoli1978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
Have you unlocked your iPhone while it is connected to the Mac and Image Capture is open?

I do not use iCloud Photo Backup though, thus I cannot be sure, if that is the problem. If it is, then that is "expletive here".
Yeah, I tried opening up photos on my phone and everything.

Seems pretty ridiculous. I can work thru airdrop since I've got good 802.11ac wifi, but it's just dumb that it isn't easy to do it via USB/lightning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.