Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hi there

Why is it not possible to see the exact files that are being backed up on iCloud?

So I turned off File backup’s as well as many other apps. And in the Apps list the highest MB size is one with about 300mb, all the others are like 5-20mb’s and some small 1-5mb’s. All them together do not amount to even 1GB.

Yet my initial iCloud backup size is over 10GB. Which is weird because the Apps obviously aren’t using that much space and I also don’t have any documents being backed up that amount to that size. And I doubt system settings could be it.

So what could it be? In the settings I just see a purple bar saying “Documents & Files” but you can’t actually see the exact files. Any idea?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
You click on the Backup section, which takes you to an overview of all the device backups in your iCloud Drive. You can then select one and get an overview of the apps that are stored in your backup, including the size they take up. This also allows you to individually turn off an apps data from being included in your iCloud backups.

Keep in mind that there's a lot more data going into your iCloud Drive that is not tied to iCloud backups: Mail, Photos (if iCloud Photo Library is turned on) etc.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
You click on the Backup section, which takes you to an overview of all the device backups in your iCloud Drive. You can then select one and get an overview of the apps that are stored in your backup, including the size they take up. This also allows you to individually turn off an apps data from being included in your iCloud backups.

Did you read my post at all? ?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Did you read my post at all? ?
Try opening the Files app and check your iCloud Drive content. Stuff like downloading images / zips etc from the web go there by default. Do you have a Mac? macOS has an option (not sure if it's turned on by default) that syncs your whole Desktop & Documents folder to iCloud.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Try opening the Files app and check your iCloud Drive content. Stuff like downloading images / zips etc from the web go there by default. Do you have a Mac? macOS has an option (not sure if it's turned on by default) that syncs your whole Desktop & Documents folder to iCloud.

Already did that. There’s nothing even remote close to 100mb. And no, nothing backing up from a Mac.

Also photos and any other Apple apps (like GarageBand, iMovie, etc) turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.