Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Manually initiated iCloud backup of whatsapp while on cellular connection does not go beyond 95% completion. After reaching 95% the iCloud backup of whatsapp stops and displays message - waiting for WiFi connection.

Moreover since the whatsapp backup continues till 95% completion even while on cellular, there is obviously no problem in cellular network connectivity.

I have already tested it on multiple cellular networks. Behaviour remains the same on multiple Cellular networks.

there is no problem in 100% completion of iCloud backup of WhatsApp while on WiFi.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I may be wrong but WhatsApp should not back up on cell data?

The above link from WhatsApp website clearly mentions possibility of iCloud backup over cellular.
Moreover, if this were not possible, the backup would not proceed till 95%.
The extract from that page is attached below.

image.jpg

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Approx. 1.3 GB.
I am referring to backup created by WhatsApp on the iCloud (and not the backup created by iOS itself on iCloud).
This WhatsApp backups created by clicking WhatsApp settings > Chats > Chat backup > backup now.
This backup is possible over cellular.
The WhatsApp website link mentioning backup over cellular is also enclosed once again:
WhatsApp FAQ - Can’t create or restore an iCloud backup
WhatsApp support is useless. They don't reply anything beyond giving links to WhatsApp website.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.