Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
On IOS 12 and before my icloud backup would take less than 1 minute - it would say estimating time then say 1 minute but actually finish in about 30 seconds.
Now under IOS 13 it does the estimating then says 1 minute left and then sits there saying updating to Icloud for about 15 minutes. I thought maybe only first backup but it has been all so far.
Anyone else having this?

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
On IOS 12 and before my icloud backup would take less than 1 minute - it would say estimating time then say 1 minute but actually finish in about 30 seconds.
Now under IOS 13 it does the estimating then says 1 minute left and then sits there saying updating to Icloud for about 15 minutes. I thought maybe only first backup but it has been all so far.
Anyone else having this?

Yes, the same is happening here. I just wait 2 min and then go one step back in settings and the backup is complete.

Frank

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Anyone else having this?

Yep

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Yes. I made a backup on iTunes just to make sure. Tried on iCloud multiple times, even deleted and turned off to see if it would help (it didn't). Let it sit for over 30 minutes before I cancelled it.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Plug it in to power and it’ll finish.

It’s a bug (obviously)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I suspect what might be happening is that the backup is actually happening relatively quickly but then it is taking a long time to copy the backup to Icloud - and letting us know that is what is happening. It does seem to finish but very slowly. i also did iTunes backup to make sure

Roachjt

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
I experienced this on iPhone 7 and XS under IOS 13. It doesn’t matter whether it is charging or not but any action like locking the screen and then returning to the backup screen shows it as complete. Just to make sure, I did a restore from iCloud and everything was fine.

It is now also happening with IOS 13.1 on the same iPhones and also on my iPad Pro under 13.1

A bit annoying but the backups seem to be OK

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Same here, started iOS 13 install. Backup never completes (not a single time), “updating iCloud” many hours up to 8hr +. Several on Apple’s forum with same issue.

Tried about everything short of full erase / reset.

Backups shown as successfully completed after back out of that screen, like some reported above, but don’t completely trust. Also, in my case, backup size after iOS 13 dropped to 1/4 what it was just prior to iOS 13 install. Size reduction before/after iOS 13 corresponds pretty much exactly to size of all photos on phone.

(iCloud Photos long been switched off. The photos therefore should be included in regular backup, and have been in past several years).

Roachjt

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Just to add that I backed up my iPhone to my MacBook and while I had iTunes running, I did a WiFi backup to iCloud. I saw the iCloud backup get marked as complete on the ITunes screen but still showing as “updating” on the phone. A backout of the phone screen and then a recheck on the backup screen on the phone showed that it had completed at the same time as reported by iTunes

Olivia ZXT

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2021
Yes, I back up my phone to iCloud for many times, but it keeps me waiting for a long time. I try to reduce my backup size, connect to a more reliable network, and free up my iCloud space, sometimes it may speed up my backup in a way. To make sure, I will also back up my iPhone to PC with iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.