Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I am using the iPAD Pro 10.5, last iPADOs.

I tried saving a new backup (manually) and then acidentally selected a few apps which would waste more than the 5 GB I have alloted for free. So Apple warned me of that and then offered a few paid plans. I said no, and then tried again, this time wasting way less than 5 GB, perhaps even 500 MB. I also made sure to delete any previous backup.

Here's the problem: I can't save anymore, because it keeps saying I have no free space. However I even used iCloud for Windows to check my free iCloud space, and it says 4.98 of 5 GB.

iOS is refusing to save again and claims I have no enough space. I also tried to sign out, and log all over again. No luck.

What is going on?

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
You used up your allotment. Pony up the $.99 cents/month for more storage
Even if you delete your backup it will not clear space, since keeps saying you don't have enough. So the online backup doesn't work. Not anymore.

This is a confirmed bug, since I told multiple times to delete the previous backup and it says here 99% of space is free. I am not going to pay for something I don't actually need. There is also more than 100 GB of free space in this iPAD (256 GB). I am not even using iCloud for photos.

The only scenario Apple would warn me I don't have enough iCloud space would be I selected certain apps such as nPlayer, with many videos that would waste more than 5 GB. I actually removed these apps from being selected during the next backup.

I have no idea why iCloud insists with this. Going to wait for a day or two to check if this has been fixed.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Yep. The bug is still there. I scheduled Monday at the evening for Apple to contact me and fix this. Indeed a bug that I never saw before.

EDIT: Just fixed the problem. I had to manually untick the box with ALL apps that were trying to do a backup, and then hit OK when it asked me to delete the old one. After I did this for ALL then the next backup info said less than 5 GB. Now the current backup is wasting less than 200 MB. I'll retry by selecting the necessary apps once again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.