Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifereinspired

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Hello,

I have a primary AppleID that I've been using for some time. I currently use a gmail.com email for my AppleID.

I want to create an iCloud.com email address. This sounds like it would be simple but I've been trying for nearly two years to get a straight answer about how this works and everyone tells me different things.

Some folks say:
1) never, ever use an iCloud email as a primary email address on an AppleID in case I were to ever lose my password - they say I'll be locked out for good.

2) that i can add an iCloud.com email address and my gmail will stay associated with my account, so I can log in with either interchangeably.
3) if I create an iCloud.com email address on my Apple ID, I'll never be able to change to using any other third party (gmail/hotmail, mydomain.com, etc) email address as my AppleID in the future, should I wish to.

4) I can create any number of iCloud.com email addresses under my current Apple ID and it won't become my Apple ID.
5) I can create any number of iCloud.com email addresses as separate Apple IDs and can access email all of them from within my current Apple ID.

I've also heard that Apple is adding some additional protections this fall from getting locked out (one can provide email/phone info for a spouse or friend, in case of getting locked out of Apple ID as additional safety), which seems to help with the concerns about having an iCloud.com email as my Apple ID.

I want to transition to using an iCloud.com email address because I like Apple's stance on privacy. I also like the ability to have unlimited disposable email addresses (again, coming this fall) plus the extra two or so email address aliases for an iCloud.com email. I also want use the LogIn with Apple privacy features more.

But, I'm worried about how to go about doing this, having gotten so many different stories about how an iCloud.com email address works. Does anyone know what the true story is for creating/using an iCloud.com email address on my Apple ID or who I could reach out to at Apple support (meaning, what department) to finally give a definitive answer on how best to do this? Any info or direction would be super helpful.

Thanks so so much in advance!
Devices: iPhone X, iPad Pro 2018, Mac mini. All using latest versions of iOS/MacOS.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I think this all sounds more complex than it really is. My Apple ID was set up using a gmail address, like yours. My iCloud account, which was set up a few years after my Apple ID, can be accessed using either the gmail address or the iCloud email address I chose when creating my iCloud account. There isn't any need to change the email address associated with your Apple ID.

In other words:
My current privacy strategy involves keeping my permanent iCloud email address confidential (in this example, example@icloud.com) and using iCloud Mail's alias function to create addresses for daily use (for this example, say, example2@icloud.com, example3@icloud.com, and example4@icloud.com). Yes, there is currently a limit of three aliases but, as you mentioned, Apple will allow subscribers to the upcoming iCloud+ to create an unlimited number of aliases.

----------
Edited to add:
"There are two key ways to use Hide My Email: With Sign in with Apple, which lets you create an account using a randomly-generated email address directly within a supported third-party app or website. Or with iCloud+, which lets you generate as many random email addresses as you need on your device, in Safari, or on iCloud.com, which you can use for whatever site or purpose you choose."

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveMyPens

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
Apple will allow subscribers to the upcoming iCloud+ to create an unlimited number of aliases.
Where did you read that Apple will give you unlimited alias???
That is not true. You have 3 alias with or without icloud+.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
Hey.
I wouldn't do it. I did the same thing you are thinking of and tried to revert back to my Gmail account.
Here's what happened: I added my Gmail back to my Apple ID, and my cloud email became an undeletable alias. Even though it's now an 'alias' it still reacts in certain times as my primary email, like when I look into my contact info. Apple will STILL send emails (purchases, news, etc.) to your @icloud.com alias unless you checkmark "delete and forward the email to _" and also keep in mind that it doesn't auto-sync notifications on iOS devices...

but it's been 4 months since your post, so I'd love to hear what you decided to do.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
('don't know f this is off topic, but this was the most current search for this topic)

I just changed my original iCloud sing in email address from xxxAT_outlook to my icloud one
everything synced and changed on the MacBook and iPad without me retyping anything....
is this usual?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Hello,

I have a primary AppleID that I've been using for some time. I currently use a gmail.com email for my AppleID.

I want to create an iCloud.com email address. This sounds like it would be simple but I've been trying for nearly two years to get a straight answer about how this works and everyone tells me different things.

Some folks say:
1) never, ever use an iCloud email as a primary email address on an AppleID in case I were to ever lose my password - they say I'll be locked out for good.

2) that i can add an iCloud.com email address and my gmail will stay associated with my account, so I can log in with either interchangeably.
3) if I create an iCloud.com email address on my Apple ID, I'll never be able to change to using any other third party (gmail/hotmail, mydomain.com, etc) email address as my AppleID in the future, should I wish to.

4) I can create any number of iCloud.com email addresses under my current Apple ID and it won't become my Apple ID.
5) I can create any number of iCloud.com email addresses as separate Apple IDs and can access email all of them from within my current Apple ID.

I've also heard that Apple is adding some additional protections this fall from getting locked out (one can provide email/phone info for a spouse or friend, in case of getting locked out of Apple ID as additional safety), which seems to help with the concerns about having an iCloud.com email as my Apple ID.

I want to transition to using an iCloud.com email address because I like Apple's stance on privacy. I also like the ability to have unlimited disposable email addresses (again, coming this fall) plus the extra two or so email address aliases for an iCloud.com email. I also want use the LogIn with Apple privacy features more.

But, I'm worried about how to go about doing this, having gotten so many different stories about how an iCloud.com email address works. Does anyone know what the true story is for creating/using an iCloud.com email address on my Apple ID or who I could reach out to at Apple support (meaning, what department) to finally give a definitive answer on how best to do this? Any info or direction would be super helpful.

Thanks so so much in advance!
Devices: iPhone X, iPad Pro 2018, Mac mini. All using latest versions of iOS/MacOS.

Any update, how did you proceed, etcetera?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.