Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
After a lot of trial and error I have pinpointed that iCloud is draining the battery on my iPad and iPhone. When I log out of iCloud, there is no battery drain, but as soon as I log back in it starts to drain my devices. I will see Siri (even though Siri is off!) utilize my battery when my phone is idle and on wifi. As soon as I log out of iCloud, the drain goes away.

It seems like iCloud is stuck in some endless loop of trying to sync. Any ideas?

here is my original post with additional info about the drain and how we discovered it was iCloud causing the issue:https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...fi.2205378/page-2?post=27877588#post-27877588

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Most likely. Have you tried leaving it for 2-3 nights on Wi-Fi and charging? Maybe it's trying to sync some large batch of data? Also, try switching to iTunes backups for some time if you use iCloud for that.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Most likely. Have you tried leaving it for 2-3 nights on Wi-Fi and charging? Maybe it's trying to sync some large batch of data? Also, try switching to iTunes backups for some time if you use iCloud for that.

it has been going on for 2 weeks now. I have fiber gig internet so if it is uploading something, it should definitely be done by now. Siri appears in the battery app only when I’m not charging and on WiFi which is when the drain occurs. If charge the phone, Siri does not run.

I work from home on WiFi and my iPhone 11 Pro is lasting about 5 hours. Just awful. Apple has been no help. They replaced my phone but now are just telling me the usual turn off background app, etc.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Apple is no help at all. Totally willing to replace my phone again but I know that will not help I’m about to sell my iPhone and go back to Android. Very frustrating

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
it has been going on for 2 weeks now. I have fiber gig internet so if it is uploading something, it should definitely be done by now. Siri appears in the battery app only when I’m not charging and on WiFi which is when the drain occurs. If charge the phone, Siri does not run.

I work from home on WiFi and my iPhone 11 Pro is lasting about 5 hours. Just awful. Apple has been no help. They replaced my phone but now are just telling me the usual turn off background app, etc.

It should be some iOS glitch, so don't think that replacing device will do any difference. Have you tried encrypted iTunes backup > factory reset > restore the backup? Also, I would try to start fresh. Bugs like to carry over with the backup...
p.s. Haven't read the original post so sorry if duplicated previous ideas.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
I have started fresh with my original iPhone 11 pro and the replacement. I have also wiped my iPad and started fresh. The issue remains. I’m certain it has something to do with iCloud. And for whatever reason when Siri is turned completely off, she still finds a way to constantly eat battery

Reactions: badatusernames

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
I went to erase my iPad today and it gave me a message that there was an upload to iCloud in process. When I click finish upload, it gave me an error. I am wondering if this might be the issue. My iPhone does not present me with this prompt if I try to erase it.

I restored the iPad from back up and hit erase and it gave me the same prompt. This time it does not error out, it just sits at 80% complete forever (well at least 10 minutes now). Is it possible that the iPad constantly trying to upload to iCloud is impacting my iPhone?

Attachments

• icloud1.jpg
    icloud1.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 143
  • icloud2.jpg
    icloud2.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 128

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Just in case I would leave it again overnight charging with Wi-Fi connection... p.s. 75 GB of photos is quite a lot, can Siri just index it for Search or smth, and it takes an enormous amount of time? Also, how much free space do you have on iCloud?

p.s. Brainstorming: Have you tried "Keep originals" > download everything > disable iCloud Photo Library?

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Just in case I would leave it again overnight charging with Wi-Fi connection... p.s. 75 GB of photos is quite a lot, can Siri just index it for Search or smth, and it takes an enormous amount of time? Also, how much free space do you have on iCloud?

p.s. Brainstorming: Have you tried "Keep originals" > download everything > disable iCloud Photo Library?

I have 200gb (~125gb available) of space in in iCloud. I just tried keep originals on my iPhone last night. It seems to have completed. I just did a fresh restore of my iPad to see how it reacts. Without a doubt, iCloud is the issue and I feel like I am getting closer that I now have identified that my iPad has been trying to constantly sync. My worry is there is a file on iCloud that is actually the real issue.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
I turned off iCloud backup on my iPhone and clicked erase. This time I got the same message that Documents and Data are being uploaded to iCloud. When I hit finish uploading then erase, it gets stuck at 80% and fails.

The only thing turned on iCloud right now is Keychain on my iPhone and iPad. I cannot disable it on either. It prompts for my password, I enter it and then it goes back to the screen. I click the toggle button and then it starts the process all over again "turn off icloud keychain?" and I click continue "enter password" and click toggle. This might be the issue!

Same thing on my Mac. Keychain is greyed out

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I know this is old, but was there ever a resolution to this? I'm currently a victim and getting annoyed with troubleshooting. iCloud signed out = normal battery drain. iCloud signed in = 5x faster battery drain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.