Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacxc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Hi Everyone

I was looking for certain files in my iCloud Drive on my MacBook Air which I was not able to find. Then I saw bunch of my other files missing from my drive.

When I went to the iCloud website to see if the those files are present there they were missing from there too.

When I clicked on Data recovery option in iCloud Website I saw that more than 2000 of my files were deleted !!! Was literally shocked to see that. All the files were deleted on 5th February and I haven't deleted them myself and only I have access to my devices.

Any idea what's happening here ?

• Wow
Reactions: Ready-for-Apple

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Were all of the files originally manually copied / moved over to iCloud Drive by you, or were / are they handled by an application? (for example some kind of backup software that for some reason uses iCloud Drive)

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Prior to you placing the files into the iCloud Drive folder, were the files on your Mac's internal storage or on an external storage device like a USB drive?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
That is a bit of a mystery then. Unfortunately I can't at the moment think of other avenues to explore, but I would recommend checking that your backup setup is working as it should and you have backups of the files you temporarily lost (and everything else too, of course, but especially those).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.