Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
this has been happening on and off for a while now. i would get the message that i had low storage space id go to see whats taking it up and icloud drive would usually be taking up a good portion of it. i cant quite figure out exactly how ive gotten it to go away before but i turned icloud drive off restarted my phone and it usually turns itself back on but i can seem to get it to disappear from my internal storage this time. any ideas?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
What storage capacity is your 2nd gen SE? How much stuff do you have on iCloud?

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
as of now not much space on either. but in the past icloud was barley filled i have the 200gb plan and my phone would haver over half of the space empty i have a 128gb iphone. icloud drive would take up most of the remaining space on my phone.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
That sounds too vague to really offer any ideas I'm affraid. It might help if you could post a screenshot of the iCloud Storage settings page.

Settings -> Tap on your name -> iCloud -> Manage Storage

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
wont allow me to click on manage storage. i have been having A LOT of issues with this phone but thats what is currently on my phone
31899548-2F50-47CA-93A2-0730A122E2C5.jpeg
F6D33013-155F-4F7A-923C-6981DBF602C6.jpeg

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Do you get an error message when you tap on "Manage Storage"? If so, what does it say? If not, does the tap simply register (the Manage Storage button reacts) but nothing happens?

Looking at your iCloud Storage graph you have a lot of space being taken up by backups. My understanding is that those are not downloaded to your iPhone, so they shouldn't cause problems with your local storage, however it would be good to investigate what backups you have stored on iCloud. Unfortunately in order to do so you'd need to be able to access Manage Storage, and from there Backups.

Looking at your iPhone Storage graph the portion taken up by iCloud doesn't appear particularly alarming. Based on your original post I was expecting it to take, say, the space that's taken up by apps (red bar). It simply seems that you have a lot of apps on your iPhone, or apps that take up a lot of space. These might be games, or then video / streaming / podcast apps where you have a lot of audio / video content stored offline.

The iPhone Storage settings page will show which apps are taking the most space, and if you tap on them you'll see how much is taken up by the app itself ("App Size") and how much by documents stored in it ("Documents & Data"). If you spot an app with a lot of documents and data, you should open the app and see if you've simply forgotten to delete audio / video files (for example TV episodes) that you've already watched.

Last edited:

cutiepie17881

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
it wont let me click on it at all no error message or anything. i have tried deleting all my documents and extra stuff before.
like i said ive been having issues with this phone. the last one i had before they sent me a brand new one the apps graph would take up all the space. so i dont think those are very accurate, yes i havd alot of apps now but in the past i had say 30% taken up on the graph photos say 20% other and icloud would take up the rest. u unfortunately i dont have a screenshot of that.
but my question was really about the icloud drive taking up space.
20D192E5-3ADB-49A7-879F-01637FB0945B.jpeg

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
On that topic, it might be that you've misunderstood what iCloud is. It's normal for files stored on iCloud to take up space on your iPhone. iCloud is not an "online-only storage service" in the sense that you upload files to it and they're kept strictly in the cloud. It's more like a sync service, where files stored on it become available to all of your devices that have iCloud enabled.

Your Apple devices will automatically figure out which files to download from iCloud and keep stored locally depending on your usage. If you open a file from iCloud that's not available locally on the device, it's downloaded and a copy of it is kept on the device until the device figures it's better to remove the local copy of the file than keep it around. This might happen when for example you're running out of local storage space and the file hasn't been opened in weeks or months.

In short, iCloud is not "pure extra storage space" on top of your local storage. Some of the files stored in it will always be also copied to your device while you have iCloud enabled on that device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.