Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Hi all,

Just a quick question and some background behind said questions:

So I moved all my media, documents and software over to the cloud a few years back (Bitcasa; nasty ending right there...) and loved it. I then had to transfer it over to OneDrive, about two weeks into my transferring OneDrive discontinued the unlimited storage, so I took it all off and put it onto hard drives.

Now I've bought a WD NAS (4TB) and put all my key stuff on it, and I love accessing it from wherever I am however I don't want to keep buying more and more hard drives or NAS' as they take up more space.. So I'm looking for a new storage/streaming provider...

So now I'm looking into Dropbox and iCloud Drive. I remember reading that Dropbox now does offline storage and that its not just a syncing service, is this correct? A friend of mine watched WWDC and told me that iCloud Drive will be the same now too, is this correct?

I can't actually find any definitive answer on their sites... can anyone help?

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Thom! :)

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hi all,

Just a quick question and some background behind said questions:

So I moved all my media, documents and software over to the cloud a few years back (Bitcasa; nasty ending right there...) and loved it. I then had to transfer it over to OneDrive, about two weeks into my transferring OneDrive discontinued the unlimited storage, so I took it all off and put it onto hard drives.

Now I've bought a WD NAS (4TB) and put all my key stuff on it, and I love accessing it from wherever I am however I don't want to keep buying more and more hard drives or NAS' as they take up more space.. So I'm looking for a new storage/streaming provider...

So now I'm looking into Dropbox and iCloud Drive. I remember reading that Dropbox now does offline storage and that its not just a syncing service, is this correct? A friend of mine watched WWDC and told me that iCloud Drive will be the same now too, is this correct?

I can't actually find any definitive answer on their sites... can anyone help?

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Thom! :)
Dropbox has not released their "Project Infinite" yet. Apple will only store your Desktop and Documents if you choose that option, on the MacOS side of course.

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I haven't watched the WWDC presentation yet but can't see how Apple's going to drop their storage prices too much just yet. As to Dropbox, it's a great service but their storage plans go from "reasonable" to "er, what, how much?" in nothing flat - $120 per year for their Pro Individual to $900 per year ($15X5 usersX12months) for Business Teams for UL data with nothing apparent in between left me scratching my head...

What I'm using for my personal use is partly a bonus and a bit of synching. With my Amazon Prime account I bought AC last year for a Mini Server and they "gave" me a free year of their UL file storage (not the Photo Storage), and around New Years I saw their $5 promo for 1 year (stackable) for the same UL file storage. I use oDrive to move my files off of my Macs to my cloud spaces - Amazon File Storage, Dropbox, and my OneDrive accounts - and then access my files via native iOS apps. It works for me...

At Dropbox's prices, I bought a Samsung T3 SSD and carry it with me to augment the native iOS apps. But, that's just me...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
OneDrive for customer already achieves one feature called "fetch my files on PC" with OneDrive client installed.
I used that feature early enough when OneDrive still provided 25GB free. Then, OneDrive web portal was blocked by government.
From there, I rarely use that feature now. iOS client does not support this feature as well.
I am sure I am an old OneDrive user, haha. ;)

Apple's move is just a miniature form of this OneDrive feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.