Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
So in order for a PC user to be able to use iCloud Drive you have to be using Windows 8 ? WTH!:mad:
Didn't they just say in the presentation that only 14% of PC users have adopted Windows 8?:eek:
GOD! I hope it's available for Win 7 users.
Anybody know?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
So in order for a PC user to be able to use iCloud Drive you have to be using Windows 8 ? WTH!:mad:
Didn't they just say in the presentation that only 14% of PC users have adopted Windows 8?:eek:
GOD! I hope it's available for Win 7 users.
Anybody know?

Go back and re-read exactly what you wrote and you'll notice you basically answered your own question. ;)

It's a marketing strategy to get more people to get a Mac. Firstly, Windows 7 has a wide adoption rate so why support a system that people will inherently remain on against a system that not everyone is happy about such as Windows 8? Also Windows 7 is now old and Apple has supported Windows 7 for quite a while.

In your rant I guess you didn't check Apple's website that stated that iCloud Drive requires OS X Yosemite and they stated "Some features require iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.". So Mavericks users are left in the cold. You think they're going to support Windows 7? :rolleyes:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Go back and re-read exactly what you wrote and you'll notice you basically answered your own question. ;)

It's a marketing strategy to get more people to get a Mac. Firstly, Windows 7 has a wide adoption rate so why support a system that people will inherently remain on against a system that not everyone is happy about such as Windows 8? Also Windows 7 is now old and Apple has supported Windows 7 for quite a while.

In your rant I guess you didn't check Apple's website that stated that iCloud Drive requires OS X Yosemite and they stated "Some features require iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.". So Mavericks users are left in the cold. You think they're going to support Windows 7? :rolleyes:

It seems blatantly obvious that features on the new OS won't be supported in the old OS.....because those features don't exist on the old OS....

As for Windows, Apple could allow the portal (website/app/whatever) to work with Win 7 and 8. But I suspect they don't see the point and aren't going to bend over backwards to help PC users.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It seems blatantly obvious that features on the new OS won't be supported in the old OS.....because those features don't exist on the old OS....
I don't understand your point of that line at all.

Of course they don't exist in the old OS, they don't exist on Windows either. And I was basically speaking about iCloud Drive.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009

Good points!
Oh well.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't understand your point of that line at all.

Of course they don't exist in the old OS, they don't exist on Windows either. And I was basically speaking about iCloud Drive.

Right, but Apple isn't writing an OS update for Windows.....

Whatever comes out for Windows will be an independent app/website/whatever. No matter what version of Windows. It will HAVE to be pushed out separately.

This feature for OS X is coming with Yosemite - they don't release individual features to be downloaded on older OSes....if you get this feature on a Mac its because you've downloaded Yosemite, which by default means you aren't on Mavericks.

It would be one thing to say "this hardware is getting said feature but that hardware isn't".

I don't know why I'm even explaining this....:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.