Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajaan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Any word on iCloud Drive Privacy?

I'm guessing it's encrypted but that Apple holds the keys if they are syncing across devices and that they are viewable on a webpage, unless it's somehow set up like iMessage.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
From the engineering standpoint it would only be feasible to reuse the well-established parts of the code and standardise the encryption throughout all the iCloud services.

ajaan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
You know, what I'd really like is a backup solution that was simple, integrated without a crappy interface (looking at you CrashPlan), painless, private (meaning the backup provider didn't have the keys) and if it were hosted outside the US or United Kingdom then even better.

Currently using Arq, but it's not really integrated nor painless.

Willing to put with iCloud Drive being in the US, and I'm happy Apple doesn't appear to 'need', 'read', or 'want' our data like Google, and they seem to be privacy conscious (i.e. iMessage and now DuckDuckGo in Safari), but some local encryption for iCloud Drive would be nice.

I don't think iCloud drive will comply with current legalisation for storing work related confidential legal and medical documents I need to back up.

That said, still excited about iCloud Drive = Bye Bye Dropbox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.