Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Hi folks, thanks in advance and apologies if this has been posted before. I have been struggling with Thunderbird for accessing iCloud email on Windows 11, mainly with aliases, email folders and calendar. I am looking for an app which supports iCloud email aliases, calendar and can access all the email folders. Thanks!

Edit: I am looking for a Windows 11 app.

Last edited:

northernlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Are you asking for an app that runs on Windows 11?
That's right, I'm just trying to find out if anyone has successfully configured an email app for iCloud email with calendar, email alias and folder subscription, other than Thunderbird, on windows 10/11. Sorry if that wasn't clearer.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Have you tried anything other than Thunderbird on Win 11?

I ask because when I search for Windows 11 apps that use iCloud email, one of the results is for MS Outlook along with iCloud for Windows:

northernlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Thunderbird used to work well before v115 except it used to unsubscribe from the folders randomly and still refuses to resubscribe, also no option for calendar syncing in the latest version.

I’ve tried emClient, Spark, Windows Mail app and Outlook so far.

What’s changed with Outlook and iCloud drive for windows is that the option to setup email on Outlook disappeared some time ago. Spark doesn’t have an inbuilt calendar afaik. emClient doesn’t readily support email aliases.

Outlook also has the option of adding an alias from the email compose window, and the received email appears to show the alias on mail app. So far so good. However Outlook doesn’t now sync calendar and contacts even after the option is enabled from the icloud app.

Mail app doesn’t support aliases. Also no calendar or contact sync afaik.

In summary, using icloud email on windows appears to be a pain.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thunderbird used to work well before v115 except it used to unsubscribe from the folders randomly and still refuses to resubscribe, also no option for calendar syncing in the latest version.

I’ve tried emClient, Spark, Windows Mail app and Outlook so far.

What’s changed with Outlook and iCloud drive for windows is that the option to setup email on Outlook disappeared some time ago. Spark doesn’t have an inbuilt calendar afaik. emClient doesn’t readily support email aliases.

Outlook also has the option of adding an alias from the email compose window, and the received email appears to show the alias on mail app. So far so good. However Outlook doesn’t now sync calendar and contacts even after the option is enabled from the icloud app.

Mail app doesn’t support aliases. Also no calendar or contact sync afaik.

In summary, using icloud email on windows appears to be a pain.
If its a pain then you can only point at Apples Icloud for windows app and not MS Outlook

Start here for trouble shooting :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What’s changed with Outlook and iCloud drive for windows is that the option to setup email on Outlook disappeared some time ago
I'm not sure what could have changed but in setting up outlook all I had to do was create a one time password for icloud, then I fired up outlook and created a new account, entering my icloud email address and one time password in the outlook password. It just worked

Admittedly, I've not done this in a while, so something could have changed, and to be perfectly honest, I'm finding the web client of icloud to be superior then outlook for my needs - I'm largely transitioning away from icloud mail and using protonmail. I've been inundated with spam, junk and just plain old

Reactions: SteveJUAE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.