Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
So, my iCloud email address gets constant spam messages from all sorts of senders all apparently addressed to "witag99877@lukaat.com" I'm trying to find a way to stop these from coming in. any thoughts

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 4.25.19 PM.png

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to stop it. Your address is likely BCC'd and this email is blasted out to tons of people. It's interesting they all have the same "To" address though, so they're likely coming from the same source even though it may not look like it.

You could create a rule to have these deleted automatically. (i.e. If a message is addressed to witag99877@lukaat.com, then Move to Trash.)

Reactions: adrianlondon

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to stop it. Your address is likely BCC'd and this email is blasted out to tons of people. It's interesting they all have the same "To" address though, so they're likely coming from the same source even though it may not look like it.

You could create a rule to have these deleted automatically. (i.e. If a message is addressed to witag99877@lukaat.com, then Move to Trash.)

Rule is a good idea. It's such a bizzare set of spam emails, everything from scam giveaways to local contractors to loan offers and more.

Assuming my email got onto some list either by my own oversight or it being sold/hacked.

Really it's annoying because its 10+ emails a day and they're actually spam. Everything else Apple thinks is Spam isn't, just marketing emails I tend to not read so they get presumed to be spam eventually, but now my spam folder is a mix of real emails and this crap.

Hopefully the rule works and I don't have to deal with them anymore

remiranda

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2023
I have the same problem, out of the blue one day I start receiving 10+ emails a day. It must be someone using GPT because it’s a lot and it’s well done.

cwoody222

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Just to add, lukaat is one of my worst enemies too. I ended up making a rule.

Apple's Spam filter is one of the worst out there and hasn't improved much in over a decade; it's disappointing.

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Just noticed today I have the same problem, was hoping someone might have some more insight but looks like a rule it is...

Paupers

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
I found this thread due to a similar issue. I've managed to keep my icloud nearly spam free until now. Similar situation where it's a different recipient, but only the domain. So far it's all been sent to a 't-online.de' domain (I have dual citizenship, but I've only ever lived/operated in the US) so the rule solution should suffice.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The problem with blocking domains is, if the scammer spoofs a common domain you can wind up missing emails that you want to see. I’ve blocked domains when someone has signed me up thinking it’s their email, such as job postings, since they always come from the same from: address. Plus scammers often swap domains so it’s a game of whack a mole.

They use bcc: because it allows them to send to a large group and not reveal multiple recipients, preventing anyone from responding it’s a scam or another scammer stealing their list. One option is to block any emails you are not listed on the to: or cc: list; and just periodically check spam for false positives. If someone generally bcc:’s you and you want their emails have the rule exclude emails from specific addresses.

Reactions: Paupers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.