Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otozuz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I've looked around and I found threads from years ago, but not a recent one.

In the past few days, at least 2 emails I received on my iCloud account, disappeared as soon as I opened them. The sequence was the same in both cases:
  1. A push notification appeared on my iPhone lock screen — but no email was received on the Mac (I even tried to manually fetch it on the Mac with no luck, so it means it was already gone from the server)
  2. I tapped on the notification, the new email opened and the content was loaded
  3. After 2-3 seconds the Email disappeared as I was reading it. It's not in the Trash or Junk folder. Same on Mac and iPad, not even on iCloud.com.
One email was a pretty important one from my bank, pretty frustrating :confused:

I've just tried to rebuild the mailbox on the Mac and I set the trashed and junk emails to never be deleted ?‍♂️ Not sure if it'll help.

Have anyone experienced the same issue and was able to solve it?

mariogr

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Hi,

something very similar to yours happened to me a few minutes ago. I knew I had received an email that ended up in the spam folder, opened the spam folder, I saw it for 2-3 seconds then it disappeared like when it happens that a folder synchronizes with the one on the server, but I have never seen either deleted that email neither from that device nor from others.
So I started looking for possible causes and / or solutions, but I haven't found anything relevant yet except this post of yours.
I consider myself sufficiently versed in email (I've been a software developer for 20 years), but I've never seen such behavior.
I'm afraid our emails are irretrievably lost, even if I hope I'm wrong.

Let's keep up to date in case someone discovers something or finds a possible remedy or precaution so that it doesn't happen again.

Bye,
Mario

S Cee

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
Northeast England
Thread resurrection, I am having the same issues as per the previous 2 posts. I am running High Sierra and took the liberty of attaching my post to the original thread. If a moderator wants to move it thats fine by me.

Mail preference settings checked. Junk, Trash, archive folders don't have the deleted mail. The missing mails have their sender particulars stored in contacts.

Does not matter which device you look at same applies (iPhone, iPad x 2, and MBP).

All mail preference rules are set by me on my MBP.

Any suggestions as to rectifying this problem.

Thanks, Steve

Smarcus04

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
I had similar happen. Opened my email on chrome book thru iCloud and all of a sudden my emails began to vanish. I’m not sure how many I lost but it was what I saw in the screen twice so maybe about 15 and they are no where within the mailbox or app....

S Cee

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
Northeast England
Late update. I removed all mail preference rules and started afresh. Since then no issues. I don't know if this was the cause of my problem but its sorted now.

stayingaliveuk

macrumors newbie
(Catalina 10.15.7 - iOS 14.8)
In the past few months, I decided to use my email iCloud account for personal correspondence in place of gmail and I am not sure if the reason I stopped using iCloud was this issue but I am also experiencing this regularly with one specific email from one specific company. I have done all the necessary steps as outlined here: https://mailsettings.co/icloud-mail-missing-emails and also rebuilt the mailbox.

My occurrence and spotting this issue was opening my iPad email, seeing an email from someone, which I was indeed expecting and then seeing it disappear in front of my eyes. In previous instances when this happened when I did a rebuild on Mac Mail, but didn't know this is what I had to do, the missing email arrived in my Mac Mail in a new folder that got created recovered messages. Today this has not happened as yet.

There could be a coincidence as @S Cee says that I have heightened my spam filtering rules in my Mac Mail, i.e. I have enabled junk mail filtering and also used advanced filtering methods, but that covers all my emails not just iCloud. Maybe that causes issues with certain emails. So now I have switched all of the junk filtering to off to see what might happen. I have also removed ALL rules, some of which are quite old and were actually junk filters.

I have an ongoing issue with this person whose email keeps disappearing, so will monitor the situation to see if his emails remain or disappear.

I am pleased to have found this thread as I thought I was going completely mad. Thanks and I will be back in touch.

Best, M ツ

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I'm having a similar problem with iCloud mail. All of my emails that are moved to the trash disappear immediately, even though all of my devices are set to remove mail from the trash after 30 days. I can't figure out what's causing this behavior.

Edit: I should clarify that this is only occurring in my Apple/iCloud mailbox, none of my other accounts in Mail are affected.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Hahaha this just happened to me on my iPhone. I was looking at my inbox, saw the email there, read the subject line and all (it was an email I was expecting), and it disappeared right in front of my eyes. It is nowhere.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

DavidJHoud

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2022
I found all my iCloud messages by signing to icloud.com using a browser. Messages dissappear from my iPhone, iPad and Apple Mail on my Mac (the iCloud account inbox on my Mac is empty as are all the other mail boxes). I am using the latest iOS and MACOS. Messages appear and disappear before I can act on them. I don't want to depend on using a we browser to view my emails. This is the only email account that has this problem.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
lol this has been happening once in a blue moon when looking at my inbox on my iPhone. today, it finally happened to a super important email. i was reading the subject line in the inbox and it disappeared – simply gone entirely, no trace whatsoever. after so so so long using iCloud mail, it's time to bail on it.

iphonephoneboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Today on my Mac and iPhone, and iCloud 2.5 years of email vanished. I was on the phone with a senior tech who recovered all the emails I DELETED in the past five months but NOTHING before the last six months of this year and none of 2020 and 2021. I am not a link-clicker, an unknown attachment opener, and yet here I am.. mind-matrix-blown

cjiveson

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2022
These disappearing emails have plagued me for months. iCloud is not my primary email, 90% of the emails that go through iCloud are from Apple. Irony! You would think they would want me to get the invoices they send-LOL-yet I've watched them simply go "poof" in front of my eyes. If I can open them fast enough and forward them to my regular email they will sometimes get through. (I tried just forwarding the iCloud address but that doesn't seem to make any difference.) New twist though--earlier this month I got a brief flash of an upcoming subscription price increase. Two days later it suddenly appeared in the mail on my ipad (which I never use for mail). Same thing happened again this week. An Apple payment confirmation flashed, disappeared from iCloud, then showed up two days later on the ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.