Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Periodically, I look at whether there's anything to gain by changing how I handle email/contacts/calendars and notes/reminders.

Currently:
- Fastmail with custom domain for email and contacts/calendars via CardDAV/CalDAV, accessed via all Apple hardware and native clients, through trialing Outlook for Mac;
- iCloud for notes, reminders, etc.

Previously tried:
- iCloud+ / custom domain, stopped due to concerns regarding the reliability/silent filtering issues discussed here and elsewhere by myself and others, as well as lack of push updates of message status in background (not just pushing of new messages).

I'm aware that Microsoft 365 custom domain options no longer exist for new setups as of end-November 2023, but I understand that a custom domain can be associated with Exchange Online accounts (as in here).

All that said, are there any benefits of which I might be unaware in using Exchange even for personal email as opposed to Fastmail? Which would you pick and why? Cost difference is negligible.

Chris60549

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2019
Can you elaborate on the lack of push updates of message status in the background? Does that include read/unread status? I thought this was faulty behavior of my iCloud account. Is that actually expected behavior?

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Can you elaborate on the lack of push updates of message status in the background? Does that include read/unread status? I thought this was faulty behavior of my iCloud account. Is that actually expected behavior?
It is described in some other threads here, and in some other posts by me, but yes, that includes read/unread status. iOS does not update in the background. It's not faulty behavior of your account. It's expected behavior. There used to be a support article that detailed of this (since taken down, but linked in another post by me elsewhere in one of those threads).

Reactions: Chris60549

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
It is described in some other threads here, and in some other posts by me, but yes, that includes read/unread status. iOS does not update in the background. It's not faulty behavior of your account. It's expected behavior. There used to be a support article that detailed of this (since taken down, but linked in another post by me elsewhere in one of those threads).
That is not the case for other IMAP clients like Fastmail, right? I have not observed that behavior with FM but maybe I am not understanding what you are saying.

I too am considering b/w iCloud+ Custom Domain vs Fastmail. Fastmail is superb but the price of iCloud+ is enticing if you are already paying for Apple One.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Periodically, I look at whether there's anything to gain by changing how I handle email/contacts/calendars and notes/reminders.

Currently:
- Fastmail with custom domain for email and contacts/calendars via CardDAV/CalDAV, accessed via all Apple hardware and native clients, through trialing Outlook for Mac;
- iCloud for notes, reminders, etc.

Previously tried:
- iCloud+ / custom domain, stopped due to concerns regarding the reliability/silent filtering issues discussed here and elsewhere by myself and others, as well as lack of push updates of message status in background (not just pushing of new messages).

I'm aware that Microsoft 365 custom domain options no longer exist for new setups as of end-November 2023, but I understand that a custom domain can be associated with Exchange Online accounts (as in here).

All that said, are there any benefits of which I might be unaware in using Exchange even for personal email as opposed to Fastmail? Which would you pick and why? Cost difference is negligible.

Do you observe any weird behaviors with CardDAV or CalDAV and FM? I currently use FM email + iCloud for cal + contacts but would love for everything to be in one system. I vaguely recall back in the day that if you did not use iCloud it did not work as well for Siri (e.g. "Call my spouse.").

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
That is not the case for other IMAP clients like Fastmail, right? I have not observed that behavior with FM but maybe I am not understanding what you are saying.

I too am considering b/w iCloud+ Custom Domain vs Fastmail. Fastmail is superb but the price of iCloud+ is enticing if you are already paying for Apple One.

Fastmail worked out push updating with Apple such that read, flag, unread, etc, statuses update on a push basis without requiring manual or scheduled sync. This is unique among IMAP services. They have a blog post from many years ago about it.

Do you observe any weird behaviors with CardDAV or CalDAV and FM? I currently use FM email + iCloud for cal + contacts but would love for everything to be in one system. I vaguely recall back in the day that if you did not use iCloud it did not work as well for Siri (e.g. "Call my spouse.").

I am currently doing the same. I also would like to condense into one service but don't use email with iCloud because of the above and because of deliverability / reliability concerns. I did use all three services with FM for quite some time, though, and never had an issue other than some minimal contact field mapping / event attachment type issues.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Fastmail worked out push updating with Apple such that read, flag, unread, etc, statuses update on a push basis without requiring manual or scheduled sync. This is unique among IMAP services. They have a blog post from many years ago about it.

I am currently doing the same. I also would like to condense into one service but don't use email with iCloud because of the above and because of deliverability / reliability concerns. I did use all three services with FM for quite some time, though, and never had an issue other than some minimal contact field mapping / event attachment type issues.
Do you remember what fields did not work?

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Do you remember what fields did not work?
I don't remember the details. I do remember what was displayed, or could be displayed, was a bit different. Fastmail did not always display everything, but it was still stored nondestructively.

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
FastMail has been nearly bulletproof for me for over 10 years using Apple Mail/Contacts and BusyCal. I trust them for email/contacts/calendar faaaaar more than iCloud, since Apple still can't run a stable/reliable cloud service to save its life....

Plus, I don't like my critical data being all locked up in the same ecosystem as my hardware authentication/sign-ons.

Reactions: palebluedot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.