Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oliwhiting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023
I'm in desperate need of help here...

I updated my 2020 MacBook Air from Big Sur to Sonoma and in the process, it seems to have deleted hundreds of files from folders on my desktop. These files were seemingly stored on iCloud as from memory they had the cloud icon beside them and I would often have to redownload them before use. After updating, the folders are still on my desktop but the contents within them are entirely gone. Approximately 50 of these missing files can still be found scattered around my 'recents' tab but the hundreds of others are nowhere to be found.

I must also mention that a new folder called 'Relocated Items' has popped up on my desktop but doesn't contain anything except for folders within folders.

A quick look at online suggestions such as using the finder application to locate them in the iCloud Drive was unsuccessful as they are not visible there either. I don't have a time machine backup of these files as they were seemingly being stored in the iCloud prior to this update.

I can't stress enough how important it is that I recover these files as they are all related to my work and contain weeks upon weeks of labour. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm sure they're not gone...
Was iCloud > iCloud Drive > Desktop & Documents on or off before the upgrade? After?
How long has it been since the upgrade. Syncing with iCloud may take a few days.
Do you see them in Finder > iCloud Drive?
Do you see them when logged into iCloud with a web browser?

Reactions: oliwhiting

oliwhiting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023
Ah, relief! iCloud drive was turned on prior to the update and thankfully due to your advice, I have been able to find the files via the iCloud Web page. That being said, there's still no sign of them on my actual computer. the update took place approximately four days ago so I reckon there would have been enough time for it to sync up. Do you have any recommendations on how to restore the files from the iCloud web browser to my computer's desktop? Thank you agian for your response, it's greatly appreciated!!
Was iCloud > iCloud Drive > Desktop & Documents on or off before the upgrade? After?
How long has it been since the upgrade. Syncing with iCloud may take a few days.

oliwhiting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023
To clarify, they can now be found in the iCloud Drive on my web browser but not in the iCloud Drive on my Mac.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
They don't show here in Finder?

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 12.06.43 PM.png

Confirm this in System Settings > iCloud:

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 12.08.09 PM.png

oliwhiting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023
No, unfortunately they are not visible in Finder. I have double-checked my iCloud settings and both iCloud Drive and Desktop backup are enabled as shown in your example pictures, this was also the case prior to the update.

The missing files are now visible via the web browser version of iCloud Drive but despite following the same steps cannot be found on my computer. Is there any way to use the web browser version of iCloud to restore the missing files to my desktop? I have provided some screenshots below to better visualise the issue. Thank you again for your support, it has been a life saver!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.32.30.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.32.30.png
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.04.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.04.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.33.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.58.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.58.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.28.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.28.59.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.28.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.28.59.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.04.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.04.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.33.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.58.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.30.58.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.32.30.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.32.30.png
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 33

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I'm going to offer a bit of advice.

You've just discovered why it's not such a good idea to "trust the cloud" (not iCloud or anybody else's "cloud") with what might be the only copy of your important files. You "re-discovered" them this time, but... what if something else had gone wrong?

EVERYTHING you have (file-wise) should be backed up on a PHYSICAL drive also in your possession.

Do you keep a backup?
Time machine or anything else?

If so, that might work, but again... I wouldn't trust iCloud as the only "storage place" for my files.

Personal note:
I do not use, and have never activated, the option Apple offers to "manage files".
I do "the managing" of my own files, thank you very much!

oliwhiting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023
OP:

I'm going to offer a bit of advice.

You've just discovered why it's not such a good idea to "trust the cloud" (not iCloud or anybody else's "cloud") with what might be the only copy of your important files. You "re-discovered" them this time, but... what if something else had gone wrong?

EVERYTHING you have (file-wise) should be backed up on a PHYSICAL drive also in your possession.

Do you keep a backup?
Time machine or anything else?

If so, that might work, but again... I wouldn't trust iCloud as the only "storage place" for my files.

Personal note:
I do not use, and have never activated, the option Apple offers to "manage files".
I do "the managing" of my own files, thank you very much!
Hi there.
Thanks for your response, however as is shown in the discussion and photos above, my files aren't 'gone' as such, they are not currently accessible via my computer.

As mentioned in my first post, I do not currently have a Time Machine backup but will be amending that mishap once I have restored my files.

Regarding the issue originally being discussed, do you have any insight regarding the restoration of files from iCloud.com to my desktop/iCloud Drive on my computer? This appears to be an issue regarding my on-device iCloud Drive as the files are available on both iCloud.com and the Files app on my iPad.

oliwhiting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023
From my small iPhone screen it just looks like they haven’t synced.
Thank you Chabig. I appreciate all your help. Is there anything I can do to expedite the syncing process? It has been approximately four days since updating my device and there hasn't been any progress whatsoever in terms of files being restored. Is this a process that I need to manually contribute to or are you suggesting this problem will resolve itself?

ChazMacs

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
SF Bay Area, Calif.
I just as of today have a similar problem. Files are on my Time Machine drive, in iCloud drive viewed at iCloud.com, but not visible on my desktop or by clicking iCloud Drive in the sidebar and opening the Desktop folder. However, if I restore from Time Machine, I see the dialogue box indicating that there are duplicate files, should I keep the original, replace or duplicate. WTF??? Wonder if Finder prefs are a problem. I'll replace and restart and see what happens.

OK, I trashed com.apple.finder preference, restarted into Recovery, ran First Aid, restarted. No change. I did just restore the files by dragging them from a TM backup, again getting the message that to replace or duplicate, or leave originals. I replaced, and now see all the files and folders on my desktop. Hope someone figures this out!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.