Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastworm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
I'm on iOS14, so this morning when i click into iCloud settings, it prompts me to agree to new terms. Anyone here getting the same prompt? Any idea what's the difference? Could it be related to CSAM as iOS15 release today?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'm on iOS14, so this morning when i click into iCloud settings, it prompts me to agree to new terms. Anyone here getting the same prompt? Any idea what's the difference? Could it be related to CSAM as iOS15 release today?
I had the same thing happen to me.. I decided to go to Apples legal terms and conditions for iCloud on their website and although it was extremely boring it did not mention the CSAM scanning. There have always been sections on using iCloud for illegal purposes and that if law enforcement has a warrant they have to comply but I couldn't find anything specifically on CSAM. They did mention a lot of the new features in iOS15 like private relay, mail privacy protection, etc.. Maybe it was for those?

Last edited:
Reactions: schneeland

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Most likely it's related to the new iCloud+ - Hide My Email, Private Relay and Custom Email Domains for example are mentioned in the new agreement.

Reactions: progx

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
lol .. Thats why no one reads them.
I, for one, do not read them not because they're boring, but because it doesn't matter whether I agree with them or not. Not agreeing would mean I'd have to cease using the service, which I'm not going to. I can only use their services as long as I tell them what they want to hear. So I do just that.

gistme

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
I am wondering if it has something to do with this?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...5-users-stop-secret-access-to-your-imessages/ (Sept 18, 2021)

".....Apple provides you with an end-to-end encryption key that ensures that messages sent to and from your devices cannot be read by anyone but you and your counterparties. But it then stores a copy of that key in your iCloud Backup, and that iCloud Backup is not end-to-end encrypted, meaning Apple can access the backup, retrieve the key and then access all those “Messages in iCloud.”

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Almost every service makes you agree to a book full of statements that would even bore a lawyer. You have to do the same for software apps. They know we likely won’t read all, or even any, of it. Hell we could be signing away our first born child for all we know! :p

BTW, I think this CSAM panic is because people don’t ave a clue what it is all about. Get informed first, then make a decision. Don’t jump to conclusions until you understand what it actually will involve.

Strumpet

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
Sure, all the new terms and conditions seem boring and innocuous until you get to a paragraph about who Apple can share iCloud data with. Strangely, there is a link, but it is not a blue hyper link. Which should make a sentient person suspect. You have to cut and past this link in a browser, despite there being blue hype links throughout the rest of the Terms. So following the link, I note that Apple is making a contract with you (as clearly stated by them up front) to share your HEALTH DATA with 3rd parties. For one, how is apple obtaining any health date on me except nefariously, and in the face of HIPPA violations. And secondly, why are they selling it? Again, against HIPPA … which they can only do if you give them permisson. In the Covid era — in a time when the CDC has a page up about Internment Camps (euphemistically called Green Zones and “shielding) — this is highly SUSPECT and Ominous. (If the communist party wants to push something anti-human through, they attach “green” to it. The better to herd the chattel.

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
I got the same notice. So for grins, I clicked on 'Disagree' and now my iCloud email account has been deactivated. The only way to retrieve my email is through the iCloud web portal. Funny huh?
The email was the only thing I have on iCloud.

gistme

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
I kept saying Not Now, and my Apple TV+ quit working as a subscription. Find My was greyed out. and, that's the main reason I use icloud. I could not adjust my icloud settings at all. It was greyed out. I finally accepted and turned almost everything off for icloud.

gistme

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
Sure, all the new terms and conditions seem boring and innocuous until you get to a paragraph about who Apple can share iCloud data with. Strangely, there is a link, but it is not a blue hyper link. Which should make a sentient person suspect. You have to cut and past this link in a browser, despite there being blue hype links throughout the rest of the Terms. So following the link, I note that Apple is making a contract with you (as clearly stated by them up front) to share your HEALTH DATA with 3rd parties. For one, how is apple obtaining any health date on me except nefariously, and in the face of HIPPA violations. And secondly, why are they selling it? Again, against HIPPA … which they can only do if you give them permisson. In the Covid era — in a time when the CDC has a page up about Internment Camps (euphemistically called Green Zones and “shielding) — this is highly SUSPECT and Ominous. (If the communist party wants to push something anti-human through, they attach “green” to it. The better to herd the chattel.
what's the link?

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Ok, the 'Find My' app has been deactivated too. All of my Airtags are missing. Cool.
Using strong arm tactics to force their TOS? ok

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Ok, the 'Find My' app has been deactivated too. All of my Airtags are missing.
You denied Apple access to information that's required for those things to work. There was no reasonable expectation of them continuing to work.

If anything you should be glad that those things did not continue to work, otherwise it would have been a clear sign that Apple was still making use of your information despite you very clearly objecting to its use.

So following the link, I note that Apple is making a contract with you (as clearly stated by them up front) to share your HEALTH DATA with 3rd parties.
What's the link?

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
I didn't deny anything....nor was I warned that the functionality of MY phone would be compromised for not agreeing with the terms of service that were suddenly and without notice thrust in my face.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I didn't deny anything....nor was I warned that the functionality of MY phone would be compromised for not agreeing with the terms of service that were suddenly and without notice thrust in my face.
It's in the first two paragraphs:

THIS LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND APPLE GOVERNS YOUR USE OF THE iCLOUD PRODUCT, SOFTWARE, SERVICES, AND WEBSITES (COLLECTIVELY REFERRED TO AS THE “SERVICE”).

BY CLICKING “AGREE,” YOU ARE AGREEING THAT THESE TERMS WILL APPLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICE.

Apple is the provider of the Service, which permits you to utilize certain Internet services, including storing your personal content (such as contacts, calendars, photos, notes, reminders, documents, app data, and iCloud email) and making it accessible on your compatible devices and computers, and certain location based services, only under the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement.

If you did not agree to the terms the terms do not apply and you are not permitted to use the service. Did you agree / accept / go along with the agreement, or did you disagree / deny / object to it?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
This post has revealed more of your health data than iCloud collects. Get back on the pills. The widely publicised Health app collects health data through the transparent process of ASKING YOU FOR IT. If you don't want that data shared with other widely publicised health-related apps and services then don't type it in and don't press the buttons that share it.

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
Would you say why? And, how are you changing the way you use ipad?

I was pissed off about CSAM enough to decide to completely stop updating / upgrading anything Apple, and this translated to even not wanting to accept new terms of service for iCloud.

I used the iPad for work quite a bit, I have everything on iCloud so I'd have the iPad next to the Mac while working, as a sidekick device to increase viewing surface with as I could open any file that I'd have access to on my Macbook. Now, some of the work stuff I still do on the iPad, I can no longer do using iCloud without accepting new terms of service, which I definitely won't do (I know the terms have nothing to do with CSAM, it's principle). So, I have to have workarounds, but they are few and far between and I won't bother with them much or describe them here. Instead, the iPad is now mostly a device I use to browse the web, so basically from a vital device for work it's been relegated to an entertainment device that I'll eliminate from my list of devices eventually. Not using iCloud anymore will make eliminating the iPad from my life very easy.

Reactions: VulchR

gistme

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
thank you, zkap, I totally understand. I don't ever remember having to specifically accept iClloud terms. Iphone yes. I agree on principle. It feels like arm twisting. Can't even change icloud settings, i.e. turn things off without accepting.

i.am.apple.corporate

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
Yes I received the same prompts on my devices, and yes I believe this is the beginning of Apple's CSAM feature roll out.

You are referring to Apple's "New iCloud Terms and Conditions" dated September 20, 2021:

I never paid much attention to Apple's T&C before August 5, 2021, the date that Apple announced the imminent release of their new CSAM feature. Over the years I have always selected "Agree" when prompted because of Apple's reputation on privacy. This quote from Tim Cook on February 16, 2016 was always near and dear to my heart:

But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.

With Apple's CSAM feature announcement something changed, like a crack in the earth, and it was so disorienting to me that I was prepared before September 20, 2021 to select "Disagree", which I did, and which has now locked me out of iCloud services going forward on these devices.

The word "CSAM" does not appear explicitly in Apple's new T&C, but my read of the new terms and conditions told me that this was it.

Reactions: Nikkibee11

madisonjar

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
C. Removal of Content

You acknowledge that Apple is not responsible or liable in any way for any Content provided by others and has no duty to screen such Content. However, Apple reserves the right at all times to determine whether Content is appropriate and in compliance with this Agreement, and may screen, move, refuse, modify and/or remove Content at any time, without prior notice and in its sole discretion, if such Content is found to be in violation of this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable.

Its this that worries me, can anyone explain this and if this is new? can they remove my content if they deem it objectionable? I dont do anything illegal but this world is so polarized anymore, who knows whats objectionable anymore

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If you are interested in the changes, I've made this comparison in diffchecker at the link below (from Sept 2019). Note that I had to re-order the new terms to get them to line up better (but I kept the original letters/numerals)

There actually is a subtle reference to CSAM (as noted above), but also hints that iCloud may have more sharing features in future.

UPDATE: Although this paragraph below appears to be 'new' in the diff above, it isn't. It appears twice in the new terms, but only once in the old ones...

You acknowledge that Apple is not responsible or liable in any way for any Content provided by others and has no duty to screen such Content. However, Apple reserves the right at all times to determine whether Content is appropriate and in compliance with this Agreement, and may screen, move, refuse, modify and/or remove Content at any time, without prior notice and in its sole discretion, if such Content is found to be in violation of this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.