Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patearrings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I got a new phone the other day and have set it up on my mac eco system at home. At this point I cant remember which settings i have changed in photos on the iphone, possibly i turned off "icloud photos" on my phone. I did this because when i opened photos for the first time on my phone i saw my entire library on my phone which i don't want. I only want my photos on my mac and also backed up in the cloud.

Since whatever i changed, i rebooted my mac, only to see my photo library on my mac deleting before my eyes, from 67gb down to 200mb.

I have time machine back ups of my library, so proceeded to turn off "photos" in icloud. I then deleted the current now 200mb library. I then copied in a copy of my library from the previous day (so back to 67gb) and re-enabled "photos" in icloud on my mac. This time, the library instantly jumped, to 134gb (twice the size) and nsurlsessiond ran for about 8 hours, slowly deleting the library.

I assumed this was some duplication error (as it was exactly twice the size) and so thought once it go to the actual 67gb library it would stop. However, once it finally reached the 67gb it then swiftly deleted the actual library on my hard drive again down to 200mb, so now i have no library again.

What have i done to make it behave like this? Please help!!

I just want my originals on my mac, and backed up in the icloud, with no photos on my phone (i can see shared albums which is fine).

I'm sure it's some configuration of icloud settings somewhere, but im totally stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.