Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

workerbee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
It’s quite easily possible that I‘m looking at the wrong place, as neither MacOS nor iOS nor iCloud for that matter are getting simpler, but: there were excited reports about iCloud Keychain getting OTP abilities, about a year back... and I can‘t find any of this.
Am I missing something, or did OTP support never materialize?

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
What kind of OTP abilities did you expect? Generating one time passwords? Storing them? The latter doesn't make sense. The former is already there. That six digit verification code, that you need to enter to verify trusted devices as a part of 2FA, is an example of such OTP and has been there for quite a while. If you need to generate such passwords for some third-party apps from your Apple ID account.
Also, some iOS apps can autofill such OTPs sent to your device (nothing to do with Keychain though).
Am I missing something?

workerbee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
What kind of OTP abilities did you expect? Generating one time passwords? Storing them? The latter doesn't make sense. The former is already there. That six digit verification code, that you need to enter to verify trusted devices as a part of 2FA, is an example of such OTP and has been there for quite a while. If you need to generate such passwords for some third-party apps from your Apple ID account.
Also, some iOS apps can autofill such OTPs sent to your device (nothing to do with Keychain though).
Am I missing something?
Exactly, generating one-time passwords. 1Password has the nifty QR code scanner and then automatically enters the OTP into the input field, e.g. on the Cloudflare website. Does iCloud Keychain on macos have this as well? Sorry if this is a stupid question :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.