Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
So, since we have to wait for iOS 12 to finally get iCloud messages, are you going to be satisfied or will the hype have lost you since you had to wait forever and a day to get the feature?

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I don't mind waiting for it as long as it works properly. But if they roll it to iOS 12 then they are going to look daft as it was mentioned in WWDC 17 as a 11 feature. They have until the release of iOS 12 to sort it. Even if it's 11.4 when it finally comes.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Could still arrive via server-side triggers or minor updates. Apparently Apple employees are continuing to test it with 11.3.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
What so special about cloud message?

Syncs your messages between devices, delete on one device it deletes on the others, all your messages are backed up even when starting as new, and you'll save storage as old messages will get removed until you need to view them.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Syncs your messages between devices, delete on one device it deletes on the others, all your messages are backed up even when starting as new, and you'll save storage as old messages will get removed until you need to view them.

hi
thanks for helping to clarify what iMessages in the cloud is.
question:
"you'll save storage as old messages will get removed until you need to view them"
i dont understand: you can delete them but can get them back somehow?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
hi
thanks for helping to clarify what iMessages in the cloud is.
question:
"you'll save storage as old messages will get removed until you need to view them"
i dont understand: you can delete them but can get them back somehow?

They are always on the server. Just like optimizing photos. Ready to be viewed when needed. Images that are 5 years old don’t need to be local for example. If you intentionally delete a text or media then it will get removed everywhere. So the process is automatic.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
While it is a useful feature I'm thinking it's just an excuse for Apple to force you to upgrade your iCloud storage as messages can eat up storage quickly. Therefore I'm not gonna be enabling the feature whenever it fully releases and on the betas.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
If you intentionally delete a text or media then it will get removed everywhere. So the process is automatic.[/QUOTE]

Just to be sure . If I delete intentionally a message , it will be deleted everywhere AND the cloud ?

galaxy7

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2014
HAHA...I've got one message chain with one particular individual that is about six years old. We'll grab a beer sometime to discuss why. My text message storage is HUGE because of this, but I really need to hold on to it. This will be good for me. There's a ton of photos I want to keep in that chain anyways.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
While it is a useful feature I'm thinking it's just an excuse for Apple to force you to upgrade your iCloud storage as messages can eat up storage quickly. Therefore I'm not gonna be enabling the feature whenever it fully releases and on the betas.

Why not? Won’t the messages eat up space on your phone if you don’t clear them? Might as well enable it but continue to clear it as well in that use case. You gain the benefit of them syncing between devices and you can clear space on all devices at the same time.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Why not? Won’t the messages eat up space on your phone if you don’t clear them? Might as well enable it but continue to clear it as well in that use case. You gain the benefit of them syncing between devices and you can clear space on all devices at the same time.
True I guess. I set my phone to delete the messages after 30 days and don't use iMessage enough on other devices to care if they're synced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.