Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I have joined Apple Music and last night I turned on iCloud Music Library. Now my Music library on my Mac is all messed up. It uploaded some songs but not others. Most importantly, it uploaded private voice memo recordings I had with my doctor discussing medical issues. Why on earth would iCloud Music Library upload personal and private voice memos?

I just want to wipe everything iCloud Music Library uploaded and never use it again. But how can I do that?

How can I tell Apple: hey, you know all those personal voice memos you uploaded into the cloud from my iTunes library? I want all those deleted from your servers?

I see no setting in Apple Music or iCloud that lets me wipe my iCloud Music Library uploads from my account.

How can I do this?

Please help.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
My guess is that anything in your 'Music' library - i.e. all audio files - are handled the same way by Apple Music. It doesn't differentiate, so when you initiate the iCloud connection, it will upload everything so that it is accessible everywhere, and backed-up.

I may be more trustworthy than others here, but Apple makes a big deal about their security practices, and anything that is stored on their cloud should be encrypted and not accessible by anyone else. I wouldn't worry about it, but that is just me.

What you probably need to do is separate those audio files from your music library so that they aren't handled in the same way. I don't keep audio files on my Mac or phones so I can't suggest an app to use for that, but I'm sure there are plenty of them and probably others here can help with that.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Thanks. But do you know how I can delete uploaded audio files from my iCloud Music Library?

southnorth

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2018
Thanks. But do you know how I can delete uploaded audio files from my iCloud Music Library?
Find them in the Apple Music app on your Mac and delete them. Should then delete them from iCloud music. Confirm by going to music.Apple.com in a web browser.

it looks like your audio files were in your Music library which would explain why they got uploaded. Open the desktop Music app and check what folders are being uploaded. Music - Preferences - Files - Music Media folder location is where Music looks for files by default. If you have personal files there, move them to another location on the Mac HD.

Reactions: SW3029

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
My guess is that anything in your 'Music' library - i.e. all audio files - are handled the same way by Apple Music. It doesn't differentiate, so when you initiate the iCloud connection, it will upload everything so that it is accessible everywhere, and backed-up.

I may be more trustworthy than others here, but Apple makes a big deal about their security practices, and anything that is stored on their cloud should be encrypted and not accessible by anyone else. I wouldn't worry about it, but that is just me.
iCloud is most certainly not encrypted. Apple dropped all plans to encrypt iCloud some time ago. Anything stored there is vulnerable.

https://bgr.com/2020/01/21/iphone-icloud-backup-isnt-fully-encrypted-and-its-the-fbis-fault/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.