Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peneaux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
I don’t subscribe to Apple Music. I rather buy the songs instead. I ripped some old albums and keep it in my Mac.

Can I have access to my 70GB of music if I use Music Library Sync? I don’t want to enable sync and risking messing my library.

What I would like is being able to access it in my iPhone. Being able to download few albums while away from my Mac.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Music Library Sync won’t work without a subscription to either Apple Music or iTunes Match. The latter is what you would want as it allows syncing ripped songs. It costs $25 a year. You’ll have to decide if that’s worth it.

Reactions: peneaux

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I don’t subscribe to Apple Music. I rather buy the songs instead. I ripped some old albums and keep it in my Mac.

Can I have access to my 70GB of music if I use Music Library Sync? I don’t want to enable sync and risking messing my library.

What I would like is being able to access it in my iPhone. Being able to download few albums while away from my Mac.
I'm like you and the poster above is correct with iTunes Match but I'm not a fan as it messed up the artwork on my library a bit so I won't risk it again. although my experience was in the early days and no doubt its improved.

I have the 256 GB phone so I can keep it all synced which cost more but cheaper long term than paying for streaming or 25 a year for match.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
was just reading up on match and because its matching tracks it will change the quality to 256 which is great if your originals are lower but if you ripped a cd as lossless it will get downgraded.

Reactions: peneaux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.