Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Back to ask a question.

My email is an icloud.com account. Yesterday, I had it working fine in mail with the server addresses Apple provided on their support website. Today, it stopped working and it rejects my password. Two-factor authentication is off on my account?

Anyone have a fix? Thanks in advance.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I recieved an email earlier last week stating that two-factor authentication would be enabled for all iCloud accounts beginning the 15th of June (yesterday) regardless of whether or not you want it. I believe you must now get an app specific code.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: AmazingHenry

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Unfortunately, stuff gets like this gets deprecated all the time.

It wasn't too long ago that Mail in Leopard would work fine with my work email address. We recently migrated from MS Exchange(internally hosted) to Outlook 365(cloud based) and now I'm left with computers running Mavericks that can't connect to it via Mail. I REALLY need to get the Mac Pro in my office upgraded to El Capitan, although if I end up leaving my job in August(a decent possibility) I'll wait and hope that I can continue using Mavericks on it.

BTW, 365 also require Outlook 2016, which needs Yosemite or newer. I don't use Outlook(I refuse) but still they have us blocked. Fortunately, the web app still works in Firefox, TFF, and Leopard Webkit.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I recieved an email earlier last week stating that two-factor authentication would be enabled for all iCloud accounts beginning the 15th of June (yesterday) regardless of whether or not you want it. I believe you must now get an app specific code.
Ah, I must've missed this email. I checked my settings and two-factor authentication is off, but I must need to turn it on to get the app-specific password. Thanks!

pet84rik

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2017
Prague, Czech republic
Unfortunately, stuff gets like this gets deprecated all the time.

It wasn't too long ago that Mail in Leopard would work fine with my work email address. We recently migrated from MS Exchange(internally hosted) to Outlook 365(cloud based) and now I'm left with computers running Mavericks that can't connect to it via Mail. I REALLY need to get the Mac Pro in my office upgraded to El Capitan, although if I end up leaving my job in August(a decent possibility) I'll wait and hope that I can continue using Mavericks on it.

BTW, 365 also require Outlook 2016, which needs Yosemite or newer. I don't use Outlook(I refuse) but still they have us blocked. Fortunately, the web app still works in Firefox, TFF, and Leopard Webkit.

Not even this setting (with adjusted login, etc) would work: https://www.lifewire.com/outlook-exchange-activesync-settings-1170669

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
How are you supposed to get an app-specific password? I have this problem too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it two-factor authentication?

The highest OS my MBP is on is Mavericks.
Not exactly sure about that. I don't usually use Apple's services (other than iMessage). But I do have TFA on. I'm guessing that's probably why though.

You don't need the newest OS for TFA - unless you don't have any Apple devices.

The highest I can run is Snow Leopard on my MBA. But I have three iPhones and an iPad that I can use to grant access to Apple logins.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Not exactly sure about that. I don't usually use Apple's services (other than iMessage). But I do have TFA on. I'm guessing that's probably why though.

You don't need the newest OS for TFA - unless you don't have any Apple devices.

The highest I can run is Snow Leopard on my MBA. But I have three iPhones and an iPad that I can use to grant access to Apple logins.

Well, I don't know how to enable app specific passwords.

I guess iCloud mail is shot.
[doublepost=1499450671][/doublepost]
No.

If you have two factor authentication enabled then you will need an app-specific password for mail.

That was helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.