Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AverageGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I have a notetaking application that is on two iPads that sync via iCloud. If I want to remove the application from one iPad without disrupting the data in iCloud or on the other iPad, how would I do it? My understanding is that if I disconnect iCloud from the app on the iPad that I want to remove the app from, that it will Not only remove the app from that iPad but the data in iCloud, as would removing the app itself. Thanks for any help.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Deleting an app doesn’t cause a mass wipe of its iCloud data.
Sometimes an app that stores its data in iCloud needs to be deleted if it’s acting up and reinstalled. Doing that doesn’t wipe its iCloud data.
That’s one of the big perks of storing app data in iCloud - it’s protected.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Deleting an app doesn’t cause a mass wipe of its iCloud data.
Sometimes an app that stores its data in iCloud needs to be deleted if it’s acting up and reinstalled. Doing that doesn’t wipe its iCloud data.
That’s one of the big perks of storing app data in iCloud - it’s protected.

In fairness you can wipe an app specific data set in iCloud via Settings > your account > iCloud > manage storage - select the app in question and tap delete docs & data.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Let me correct that by saying deleting an app the usual way by pressing on the icon until it jiggles, then pressing the X in the top corner to delete it — won’t delete its iCloud data. Sometimes it doesn’t even delete the on device data either doing it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.