Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I have a ton of documents stored in iCloud as I use multiple devices and like being able to access the documents regardless of which Mac or iPad I am using.

Some of the documents on my MacBook Pro are stored locally and they really don't need to be. When I updated to Big Sur, I had to offload some things to make enough storage space for the update to complete.

Is there a way to keep the file in iCloud, but remove the local copy? I have optimize storage turned on.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
If you're asking how to upload documents from your Mac to iCloud Drive, you can simply drag them on top of the iCloud Drive folder. Or you can also enable Desktop and Documents, which will store everything in your Documents folder in iCloud (as well as your Desktop) automatically.

Before doing anything, it's good to know the difference between how the options work and, of course, make a backup. This Apple Support document describes how it all works.

Last edited:

udontno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
If you're asking how to upload documents from your Mac to iCloud Drive, you can simply drag them on top of the iCloud Drive folder. Or you can also enable Desktop and Documents, which will store everything in your Documents folder in iCloud (as well as your Desktop) automatically.

Before doing anything, it's good to know the difference between how the options work and, of course, make a backup. This Apple Support document describes how it all works.

I already have everything in iCloud Drive.

I've attached a picture. Assessments & Report Cards have the download icon, meaning that there are documents in that folder that aren't downloaded to the hard drive of the computer, but they are in iCloud and I can download them if I need to. Some of these other folders I don't need a local copy of. It is possible to keep them in iCloud but remove the file from this computer?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 2.44.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 2.44.17 PM.png
    358.5 KB · Views: 103

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'll answer your question with a question: after creating an external backup, when you move (not copy) one of those folders to iCloud, what happens?

udontno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I'll answer your question with a question: after creating an external backup, when you move (not copy) one of those folders to iCloud, what happens?
Unfortunately, now I've got another question... I have my documents and desktop synced up with iCloud.

Do the folders need to be moved to the iCloud Drive folder?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 6.37.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 6.37.03 PM.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 94

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
No, if you're using iCloud Drive Documents & Desktop, what you're seeing on your Mac is a pointer to the document stored in iCloud. That would have been an important thing to mention in your first post. So if you delete a document on your Mac from your documents folder, it will delete it in iCloud because that's where it's stored. It works with the same way in iCloud Photos. Here's more details from Apple about how Documents and Desktop works:

Last edited:

udontno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
No, if you're using iCloud Drive Documents & Desktop, what you're seeing on your Mac is a pointer to the document stored in iCloud. That would have been an important thing to mention in your first post. So if you delete a document on your Mac from your documents folder, it will delete it in iCloud because that's where it's stored. It works with the same way in iCloud Photos. Here's more details from Apple about how Documents and Desktop works:

Let me see if you can answer this...

The screenshot is from my work computer. All of the documents are in iCloud. Why are they taking up so much space on my computer? How can I stop that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 7.23.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 7.23.40 AM.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 89

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
I've been doing something similar with Apple Books. I have a ton of books in the iCloud and I dont need them stored locally. So I went into iCloud Drive and chose the option to view the books in finder. I then chose the option to delete the local copy - great!

But now my Mac insists on downloading the whole collection (about 150gb) which will leave me with very little space on my internal drive. Obviously I can wait til the download is completed and then delete the local copies but how do I prevent this cycle from restarting?

If I could change the default location for the iCloud Drive folder on my Mac that would be fine - I could point it at a permanently attached large SSD but Apple's "nannying" prevents this as far as I can see.

I can't be the only person in this position whereby due to the extortionate price that Apple charges for internal SSD I chose 256GB as I couldn't afford to go higher (2018 Mini BTW).

Any help appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.