Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I have my personal iCloud and my partner has theirs. If I get an iCloud Family plan, we'd both be in the same pool, BUT, the data would be separate, right?

I'd hate for any data to merge. Ugh, that would be a pain...

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Yes, it would be separate. You will both see what each other is using and what is left in the pool but nothing more.

A lot of people think a merge happens but not the case.

Reactions: circatee

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
This is all you see, the first 5 parts on the left are my files, photos, apps and so on. Then the wide bar called Family just shows me the space everyone else is using. If they look at it they also see their breakdown on the left and what everyone else is using on the right.

You just need to remember that if you cancel the family plan, anyone using more than the standard 5GB will lose files unless they upgrade.

You as the 'owner' of the family plan cannot see or access anyone else's files. A lot of people think that is a thing too.

Really a case of everyone still has their own iCloud account and that is allowed to grow within the new pool size.

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 21.20.21.png

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
This is all you see, the first 5 parts on the left are my files, photos, apps and so on. Then the wide bar called Family just shows me the space everyone else is using. If they look at it they also see their breakdown on the left and what everyone else is using on the right.

You just need to remember that if you cancel the family plan, anyone using more than the standard 5GB will lose files unless they upgrade.

You as the 'owner' of the family plan cannot see or access anyone else's files. A lot of people think that is a thing too.

Really a case of everyone still has their own iCloud account and that is allowed to grow within the new pool size.

View attachment 2145883
Brilliant info, thanks for taking the time to share it...!

Reactions: LeeW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.