Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodlandstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
Anyone else had issues with iCloud Photo Libary from uploading/downloading?

On my iPhone, iCloud Photo libary says it has uploaded 1747 photos and 171 videos (out of 5367 photos and 304 videos). But in settings>photos it says 'last update Saturday' (it's now Friday).
I can't seem to do anything to start it uploading again, and just wondered if anyone else had similar issues, or if my photo Libary had become corrupt or something.
And yes, before you say I know it's in beta :)

mackry

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Yeah I'm having problems as well. I have all my photos downloaded but it still says "Updating..." at the bottom and under Settings > iCloud > Photos it has and "Updating..." progress bar that never changes.

Also, I get a little exclamation mark next to all my photos that are "Optimized" even though I have that setting turned off and it says "Cannot Download Photo: There was an error downloading this photo from your iCloud Photo Library. Please try again later."

Allllso, whenever I have the Photos app open, my phone turns into a hot iron and my battery goes down 4% a minute.

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
Something must be wrong, with the iCloud Photo Library.
I upgraded to an iPhone 6 a few days ago, and I was already using iCloud Photo Library on my old iPhone and my iPad.

But when I was trying to flip the switch on the new iPhone, I got the error message saying that it's NOT YET AVAILABLE.
So then I unchecked it on my iPad as well, just to try what would happen, and now it's not turning on on my iPad anymore either.

Good news is though, that as long as iCloud Photo Library is off on all your devices, at least the Photo Stream is still syncing photos!

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Mine worked during ios8 beta testing. Stopped in 8.0.2 and then today it's starting to work again w/o error messages... Thinks someone at Apple is just toying with a light switch!

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I turned mine off and tried to turn it back on but it won't let me join again. Says "We are adding more users every day, please check back later"

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
For me appeared this on iPad and iPhone . There wasn't this till today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 1,283

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
mine actually finished uploading this morning (took about a week for ~1300 pics and ~400 videos), but it only seems to have "optimized" about half of my library. Many of the videos are still locally on my phone.

My full library was about ~30GB and it's still taking up about 15GB. Any idea how to force the rest to "optimize"?

Woodlandstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
mine actually finished uploading this morning (took about a week for ~1300 pics and ~400 videos), but it only seems to have "optimized" about half of my library. Many of the videos are still locally on my phone.

My full library was about ~30GB and it's still taking up about 15GB. Any idea how to force the rest to "optimize"?

I can't see any trace of 'optimization' on my iPad (which is downloading my iPhone's images/videos).
I see the thumbnails, but when I click on them it just loads the high rez versions which is very slow.
I thought the whole point of optimization was that it would download a smaller quality version of each image to store on the device, but it's more like an 'online viewer' at the moment. I'm fine with online viewers, but it's pretty unusable at the minute, and far too slow.
I previously used Picassa (now Google photos) and that was very quick to view online photos.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I can't see any trace of 'optimization' on my iPad (which is downloading my iPhone's images/videos).
I see the thumbnails, but when I click on them it just loads the high rez versions which is very slow.
I thought the whole point of optimization was that it would download a smaller quality version of each image to store on the device, but it's more like an 'online viewer' at the moment. I'm fine with online viewers, but it's pretty unusable at the minute, and far too slow.
I previously used Picassa (now Google photos) and that was very quick to view online photos.

It's not going to optimize them on your iPad, since the original files do no reside on it.

It's working as intended (although I agree it's slower than I would like). It basically stores the thumbnail and downloads the full version when you pull it up.

My issue is that the original files were never deleted from my iPhone after being uploaded to iCloud (pics were taken on my iPhone).

Woodlandstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
I'm sure Tim Cook said in the Keynote that it would make optimized versions of each photo on your devices, but if you want to EDIT the photo it would then pull down the high rez version.

Woodlandstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
Had a push notification that my iCloud Photo Libary hadn't been backed up in a week, yesterday!
Even though it won't let itself be backed up!
I tried disabling iCloud Photo Libary in settings, but when enabling it now it says, I can't get it but they are adding users daily so check back later.

Woodlandstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
Managed to turn it back on now, although it seems to be only uploading new photos, and not old ones from a couple of years ago, that I transferred to my iPhone.
Also, it says in settings that I've uploaded 1819 photos and 137 videos, yet my iPad (which has no photos initially) has managed to download 2792 photos and 220 videos. The upload stats in settings are clearly lying to me :/

AppleDavid

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I hope that oct. 16 is the day when os x yosemite,iTunes 12,iCloud photo library,iOS 8.1 will be released!

cjcb

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Managed to turn it back on now, although it seems to be only uploading new photos, and not old ones from a couple of years ago, that I transferred to my iPhone.

Also, it says in settings that I've uploaded 1819 photos and 137 videos, yet my iPad (which has no photos initially) has managed to download 2792 photos and 220 videos. The upload stats in settings are clearly lying to me :/

How did you manage that? I have been trying for days, and it won't turn on again. I ended up getting a new iPhone 5s, which only has 8.0.2. My iPad is on the same version. I am wondering if that is the issue.

At one point, iCloud PL was turned on on both.

Woodlandstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
I just tried turning it on the next day on my iPhone and it worked. Haven't got it to start again on my iPad yet though.
Although, my latest issue is that my iPhone 6 is really struggling with photo libary. If I delete an image it takes approx 8 seconds until it deletes it, saving an edit, again takes about 8 seconds too.
Being able to scroll through all the years takes about 20 seconds before it becomes smooth, and sometimes the photos app just hangs for 10 seconds before I can even do anything.
These timings were done in AIRPLANE mode too, as I wanted to test if the slowness was because it was trying to communicate with iCloud.
Now I'm just wondering if the hardware/software can actually handle 6,000 photos and 400 videos.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I just tried turning it on the next day on my iPhone and it worked. Haven't got it to start again on my iPad yet though.

Although, my latest issue is that my iPhone 6 is really struggling with photo libary. If I delete an image it takes approx 8 seconds until it deletes it, saving an edit, again takes about 8 seconds too.

Being able to scroll through all the years takes about 20 seconds before it becomes smooth, and sometimes the photos app just hangs for 10 seconds before I can even do anything.

These timings were done in AIRPLANE mode too, as I wanted to test if the slowness was because it was trying to communicate with iCloud.

Now I'm just wondering if the hardware/software can actually handle 6,000 photos and 400 videos.

I have triple that and it's smooth as glass.

msp5217

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2015
I started experiencing a similar issue with my iPhone 5s with iOS 9.0.2. My photos would be pixelated with a small exclamation point in the bottom-right corner. A large majority of the photos also claimed they couldn't be downloaded once I tried to edit the large pixelated version, yet I found them all when I signed into iCloud online. Needless to say, a simple restart didn't help.

I checked in several places but no one seemed to have a concrete answer. What worked for me was to go to Settings > Photos & Camera where I shut off 'iCloud Photo Library' and 'iCloud Photo Sharing'. I then restarted my iPhone (May not have been needed, just habit sometimes) and found that all the photos that wouldn't load properly were now gone. I then went back to Photos & Camera and re-enabled the 'iCloud Photo Library' and 'iCloud Photo Sharing' settings, followed by a restart (Same reasoning as the first restart).

When my phone rebooted I had all my pictures in their original locations and properly downloading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.