Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
I recently returned from a vacation to India. During the trip I took photos with both my iPhone and a separate Olympus camera. Since returning I have uploaded all of the Olympus photos to Photos.app on my Mac.

My expectation was that the photos would sync up over iCloud Photo Library and I'd have my full trip, from both cameras, available across all devices. However, I've noticed that all the photos are in the incorrect order in the Moments view as the time stamps are different between the devices. The Olympus camera was set to use the local time in India, whilst the iPhone automatically applied the India local time based on the device updating on arrival.

Now I am back in the UK, when viewing the photos in Moments I've spotted that all of the India photos shot on my iPhone have a time stamp which is relative to GMT. This means that all of the iPhone photos appear 5h30m earlier than the Olympus photos shot at the same time, e.g. When I was in India a photo shot at midday, now appears as it was shot at 6.30am in my iCloud Photo Library.

Do other users encounter this issue? Is it best to only use the Olympus camera with the time set to GMT. I feel that this is a shortcoming and I'm positive other multi-camera users may have a solution!

Thanks in advance. Tim

Reactions: Axelbecerra

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Hello! I've had that happen to me before. Simply select all the photos you'd like to adjust and go to "Image->Adjust Date and Time..." on the menu in the Photos mac app. Change some options there according to what you want to do. Hope this helps! Let me know.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Hello! I've had that happen to me before. Simply select all the photos you'd like to adjust and go to "Image->Adjust Date and Time..." on the menu in the Photos mac app. Change some options there according to what you want to do. Hope this helps! Let me know.

Thanks Messenger. My solution was to go into the Adjust Date and Time settings and then change the timezone of all of the Olympus photos to India instead of GMT. The settings option will immediately try and jump forward the time stamps +5h30m, but if you ensure the time is the same, and only change the timezone then it appears in Moments in the correct order.

Interesting tidbit - the date stamp on my iPhone photos varies. I think this has something to do with the location where it was uploaded to iCloud Photo Library. i.e. the same photo will appear in iOS under two different time values based on where the wifi upload completed. There is no consistent behaviour to this.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Thanks Messenger. My solution was to go into the Adjust Date and Time settings and then change the timezone of all of the Olympus photos to India instead of GMT. The settings option will immediately try and jump forward the time stamps +5h30m, but if you ensure the time is the same, and only change the timezone then it appears in Moments in the correct order.

Interesting tidbit - the date stamp on my iPhone photos varies. I think this has something to do with the location where it was uploaded to iCloud Photo Library. i.e. the same photo will appear in iOS under two different time values based on where the wifi upload completed. There is no consistent behaviour to this.

You're welcome! Well, yeah, Apple has always had tiny details like these that need ironing out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.